Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilter's luncheon...food ideas needed

Blog Entries

Quilter's luncheon...food ideas needed

My mother hosts an annual luncheon for a church charity quilting group. Two years ago, she purchased deli sandwiches and a fruit tray. Last year, I baked quiches and who knows what dessert was? It must not have been memorable! I am stumped for this year. It needs to be something not too difficult to make or clean up, but not something we'd have every day, either. We eat around noon, so it could be brunch, but light on sugar content. Any ideas? I am at a loss.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I went to a breakfast meeting a woman's house, and she had all sorts of things -- olives, cheese, mushrooms, onions, bacon, and on and on. You got a plate and scooped up what you liked, then handed it to someone at the stove who tossed it in with an egg and made you a personalized egg scramble.

Maybe cooking on the spot won't work, but I remember being impressed that you could have your food exactly as you liked it, and you did half the work of putting it together. Seemed like a great idea!

If you want to make it brunch then definitely go with different types of egg casseroles. Some of these can be prepped the night before then cooked right before time to serve. Search the recipes here on the board. You could also do a salad buffet with meat salads, vegetable salads, and fruit and cheese platters. If you serve salads thst could be sandwich fillings have trays of mini croissants.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    my brunch friends always enjoyed my home made baking powder biscuits with sausage/milk gravy. i rarely make that now as my waistline suffers for it.... my mouth is watering now
    Nancy in western NY

chicken salad on croissants.....fresh fruit on the side?

Quote Originally Posted by KimmieH View Post
    chicken salad on croissants.....fresh fruit on the side?
    And I had to read this at lunch time. Sure sounds good to me!

Slow cooker soups are easily made ahead and can cook away while you work. QuiltE posted a wonderful recipe for a French Onion for the slow cooker and I made it last week and was a big hit.
    Lori - MamaBear

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear61 View Post
    Slow cooker soups are easily made ahead and can cook away while you work. QuiltE posted a wonderful recipe for a French Onion for the slow cooker and I made it last week and was a big hit.
    Glad it was a hit, MamaB ... and that I was not the one to be hit!!

Expanding on MamaBs ... you could have a soup buffet with more than one soup in crocks and let them try a different one for seconds. Complete that out with an assortment of breads and QuiltNNan's tea biscuits, butter and cheese and you have a delicious lunch. Salad ... optional!

And with a meal like that ... I'd be thrilled with a bowl of homemade fresh fruit salad !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    I worked for a catering company for 20 years.

There is no reason you cannot repeat one of the meals you have done in the past.

Soup and biscuits.
    Quiche or lasagna and salad.
    Assorted sandwiches.
    Stew and nice bread.

Brunch:
    Wife savers are always great, make ahead and bake the day of the event.
    Fritatta
    Muffins and fruit salad for a brunch dessert

Desserts:

I always love fresh cookies.
    If you have different types of desserts, people will take more than one and you will need more portions.

If you may have guests with dietary concerns, I would go with a built your own sandwich bar. Have rolls, meats, cheese, vegies (tomatoes, lettuce etc) and condiments. Each person can build their own. If you can have Gluten free crackers for those who cannot eat wheat.
    Proud Parent of one Dwight Canada Student, my son graduated this year and is on his way to UVic.

http://dwightcanada.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    .......If you have different types of desserts, people will take more than one and you will need more portions.........
    Oh how true!!!!
    Ever notice on buffets where they have beef, chicken and fish, that people tend to have ALL! And good sized servings of each.

Likewise my soup buffet suggestion ... would definitely go thru more in totaly quantity!
    Last edited by QuiltE; 10-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast