Quilters Newsletter

Old 12-08-2016, 06:24 PM

Default Quilters Newsletter

I was saddened when I learned Quilters Newsletter was being discontinued. I didn't realize how much I would miss it until reading through the 20 or so issues that my daughter bought at a quilter's estate sale. No other magazine (at least as far as I have seen) includes so many different topics.

It is inspiring to hear about the many quilt shows across the world with a list of the winners with photos of their quilts and a brief biography. Reading about the history of quilting through the years has enlightened me. 300 Words About Quilting gives me insight to other quilters and their thoughts, dreams, successes, failures. It makes me realize how we quilters are so diverse and yet the same.

Staff Picks, Back Track, Workshop, Shows, Thomas Knauer, Pam Rocco will all be missed.

How do you all feel about the demise of this wonderful magazine? And do you know of any magazine currently available that publishes even half of the content Quilters Newsletter gave us?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:40 PM

I subscribed to Quilters Newsletter for my mother when it was printed in green and black. She saved the issues for me. Later I took a subscription and rejoiced as full color was introduced and looked forward to favorite monthly columns. My 10 year collection finally went to a fellow worker and new quilter (who now teaches and wins ribbons). Not wanting to accumulate magazines, the library became my go-to for QNM. The staff and contributors felt like friends. I have never liked any of the newer publications as well as QNM. I'm glad to have hoarded a few favorite issues.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:07 AM

I too am saddened by its demise. It was a magazine to Read from cover to cover. We got to read about the history and future progression of quilting from many points of view. In addition to the columns Gramajo mentioned, I particularly liked the column titled "Loose Threads". I liked seeing pictures of the international quilt shows. I have a lot of back issues, and love it when I find one more at the magazine rack of the thrift shop.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

As far as I was concerned it was a major loss to the quilting community because it was the one magazine that covered all the bases, had content for all levels of quilters, brought the world of 'foreign' quilters closer, taught, educated, delighted and inspired. Bonnie did a marvelous thing when she started this remarkable tool at her kitchen table all those years ago. I still thank her.

Jan in VA
Old 12-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

What is so sad is the magazine was just three years shy of being published for 50 years! The first to have this honor. To keep the other quilt magazines owned by the company in publication and not QNN for three more years shows the new owners had no regard for that honor or the legacy of the magazine.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:39 AM

I am deeply saddened also. Ths was my favorite magazine ever. I read from cover to cover. Love all the pictures from quilt shows around the country, pictures of all catagories of the shows. Awesome patterns and articles. Shame on them for canceling it. I'm not happy with the quilt art magazine to replace.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

QNM is my favorite too. There isn't anything I don't like about this mag. I am self taught and I learned so much and tried many new ideas. It will be missed in my home. Luck has it that I have years of them saved up that I will continue to enjoy.
peace
Old 12-11-2016, 06:45 AM

That is sad, but it seems the old "traditional" quilts are not as much of a draw as the newer "art form" of many of the quilts today...so the publishers are looking for that population for sales.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:54 AM

It wasn't the traditional quilts in QN that I will miss. What I'll miss are the news of the quilting world at large and the many diverse opinions that were expressed.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 PM

I will really miss it as I always thought of it as "the intelligent quilting magazine". So much more than patterns, I learned so much about different types of quilting, the quilting scene, quilt artists, quilt history, new developments, quilting & quilters around the world, tools, techniques, the list goes on. Really, really miss it.