Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilters not going to Houston? >

Quilters not going to Houston?

Quilters not going to Houston?

Old 10-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Default Quilters not going to Houston?

I was browsing the blogs this morning and was surprised that many have decided not to go to Houston Quilt show in a few weeks because of the Ebola virus in Texas. Anyone change their plans to go? Just curious.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:21 PM

I was going but changed my plans because I don't want to fly. I love to fly but had second thought this time. Isis scares me half to death. Maybe a couple of months from now I'll change my mind.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

well it's a bit of a way from Dallas to Houston, so I cant' see why. Unless it's the flying, that i can understand. I hate being cramped in with so many people anyway. The last time I did that, i got some flu type bug and my visit and a month after getting back home was so bad.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:41 AM

I would love to go but my work schedule does not allow me to go this year. The ebola virus does scare me a little (and I am a nurse) but it would not stop me if I could go. I do fly but I take sanitary wipes with me on the plane. This way I can wipe down the table and armrests in my seat. Helps to cut down on the chances of getting sick from dirty trays. You know they never get cleaned. LOL
Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM

My daughter may be going to Washington DC for a class project (she teaches 5th grade) and I was saying how much I would love to go to DC. My husband said he didn't want to go because of the terrorist threat. This was a surprise to me because we are going to Germany next year for a friend's wedding. I said flying over the Atlantic would be a bigger concern to me than DC - but he disagrees. I would love to go to Houston - I am not worried about disease or terrorist - mine is lack of money.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:42 AM

I had not planned on going. Too Far. But here are a few thoughts.
Very, very slim chance of contact with a primary infection.
In the past few months people have been complaining about fewer good vendors at the bigger quilt shows.
If you don't go, they will stop going.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 AM

I was recently in Texas for a vacation visit with GKs; the ebola threat is very much a topic of conversation there (we were in Austin). Texans hate that they have been pinned in by this threat because of the Dallas incident; but Atlanta and Georgians are even more upset, not that I can blame them (Tennessee is a little too close for comfort to my way of thinking). I guess my take on this is that for any future traveling I do via SW, I'll carry my own stash of sanitary wipes. And I am reasonably sure that I won't be traveling with the bigger international lines at all. I've done enough long distance traveling for this old lady.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 AM

The nurse who came down with it today had taken a flight even tho she had a light temp. She had taken care of the man who died with it and should have not flown but did anyway. I would not get on a plane now. My DSIL had to make a business trip to Houston and he chose to drive.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
Very, very slim chance of contact with a primary infection.
That's what they told the nurses in Dallas. I"ve just emailed Quilts Inc that runs the Festival concerning the fact that in the past vendors from Africa have attended and sold their goods. I"m still deciding whether or not I'm going to attend. I'm waiting for an answer from them and to see what happens with the virus in the next few weeks. I live in Houston so I don't have to fly, but I'm still rather leery of attending an event where I'd be in contact with so many people and so many international travelers.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 PM

This post might seem extreme to some, but with what with has been going on I think we all need to be very cautious. While it's great to travel under normal circumstances, until Ebola is contained and we have control of it, people should postpone optional travel. I'm not trying to panic anyone but, Ebola isn't like catching a cold or the flu, it's a 90% fatal disease. While it isn't easily spread like a cold/flu virus, Ebola is a HIGHLY infectious disease. That means once exposed you will probably get it! I didn't realize this until watching a CNN Ebola report last night. All it takes is an infected person to wipe their nose and then touch a surface, later you touch the same surface and if you have a blister, paper cut, hangnail, or any break in the skin you will contract Ebola. It is also not known how long the Ebola virus can live on surfaces. Lysol disinfectant sheets or hand sanitizer will not kill Ebola virus. Chlorine Bleach is the only known chemical that kills it. How about the two Dallas nurses who treated the deceased Ebola patient, they had protective gear and disinfectants and they still contracted Ebola. Thank goodness the public at large are not coming into contact with infected patients' body fluids as a nurse would, but we are not protected from surface exposure: money, all public building door handles, faucet handles, shopping carts, counters,etc. Traveling close to areas where Ebola exists puts at risk the travelers, their family members and the hometowns to which they return. Now thanks to the CDC and one Dallas nurse, people from all over the U.S. and possibly other countries have been unnecessarily exposed to Ebola. How many innocent children and adults flew in an Ebola-infected plane, due to their terrible lack of judgment. Also this infected nurse came into contact with people at airports and other public places she visited--not to mention her out-of-town family. It won't take too many more such incidents to create the feared U.S. Ebola epidemic. The CDC and Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital-Dallas apologizing after letting the "cat out of the bag" will not cancel out the virus exposure they have caused. If something isn't done soon we may be facing an Ebola epidemic in the United States comparable to the Bubonic Plague of the Middle-Ages. I wonder if our Healthcare system could deal with an Ebola epidemic, as they haven't been able to adequately deal with the few cases they have had so far without putting healthcare workers and the public at needless risk. So many stupid mistakes have also been made by the CDC. I cannot understand why people exposed to this lethal disease were not quarantined to their homes--period. Instead, they were allowed to fly on commercial airlines exposing countless more people to this deadly virus. They used to quarantine people with Measles and Measles is nothing compared to Ebola. How dumb can they be? This comedy of errors and casual attitude concerning this disease has to stop. Time has come for state/federal governments to quit "pussy-footing around" and restrict travel to and from Africa and states in the U.S. where Ebola is known to exist until this lethal disease has been contained. With Ebola being 90% fatal it's better to err on the side of caution. America is a free county and we all value our ability to travel unrestricted, but there are times when this freedom must be restricted temporarily to protect the public from itself.