Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilters please help with sand box/litter box issue >

Quilters please help with sand box/litter box issue

Quilters please help with sand box/litter box issue

Old 05-18-2011, 02:30 PM

We have stray cats using our grandchild's sand box for a litter box. The sand box is 8ftX6ft, made with treated 2X10. We are thinking of making a vinyl lattice cover with hinges, hoping to make it like a panel screen where it folds over itself until it folds off the sandbox, and maybe have it hooked to the box on one side. I can't find any web sites for that kind of design. Do you have any suggestions that will help me? Web site, personal experience, or other suggestions.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:37 PM

You could just make a "window frame" type constuction and put the lattice right on it with nails or staples. I think that's a great idea to keep the cats out. Be sure you sterilize the sand after you clean it out. There can be parasites from cats left behind.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM

You might want to build just a screen piece to go over it. If you use just the plastic lattice they will just go through the holes to let themselves in. And you may think that the holes are too small - but they aren't. I had a Maine Coon who weighted 27lbs. And she was able to squeeze herself between the box spring and the bed frame which had a gap of only 1 1/2 inches. It is amazing how they can make themselves fit.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Get a plastic tarp to throw over and use heavy rocks to hold it down until you can figure something else out.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM

I agree with cjomomma, just use a tarp. Cheaper and lighter to move.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM

definitely consider replacing the sand before letting the children in again after you cover it. I agree with jljane...cats can leave parasites in the sand that you don't want your children to get. You can google cat parasites in sandboxes and I am sure you will get a thorough explanation. Kinda the same reason pregnant ladies should NOT clean cat litter! Good luck! :)
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM

We made a simple frame and used screening to keep cats out of ours. This way it was light enough for me to move easily. We attached latch hooks to keep cats from being able to lift it up. Of course we had made our own sand box and it was made out of wood and was square, so it was easy to make a screen cover. good luck
Old 05-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Google Goddess

good luck in make a cover for the sandbox, I would get rid of the old sand and put in fresh new sand
Old 05-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Exactly why we no longer have a sand box. We covered with a tarp, then with plastic. But the wind would blow it up.
The final straw was when my toddler was playing in it, along came a cat, and it came in and pottied right beside her.
Good luck, kids love sand boxes.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
We made a simple frame and used screening to keep cats out of ours. This way it was light enough for me to move easily. We attached latch hooks to keep cats from being able to lift it up. Of course we had made our own sand box and it was made out of wood and was square, so it was easy to make a screen cover. good luck
-----------------------------------
Many years ago we did the same thing...far too late. In addition to removing all the sand, my DH poured boiling water over the bottom dirt and let it steam till cooled, then added the new sand. And then immediately the frame top. As soon as our son was old enough to not want any more sand box, out it came.