Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilting and Wrestling, YES!!! >

Quilting and Wrestling, YES!!!

Quilting and Wrestling, YES!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Oh my....Believe it or not, you will one day miss those long days. My son wrestled. Long long Saturday's spent is horrid smelly gyms. Long Northern Mi rides on bad country roads (because when you live in the country schools are far apart, driving 3 or 4 hours was normal) with bags full of teen age sweat soaked clothes....Too cold to drive with the windows open.
Yes, I quilted on those long Saturdays. I would take my quilts for hand binding and stitch away while waiting for my son's turn to come up. I also knitted. I was a very nervous wrestling mom at first and had to keep my hands busy, I had a skein of red yarn that was knitted and taken apart so many times......During the holidays I often did various hand crafts, ornaments and such. I remember one year, was making snowman ornaments. I would have the wrestlers waiting for their turn stuffing little white yoyos for me. (by this time I wasn't so nervous and the guys were kinda afraid of me). By my son's senior year I was the mom screaming and demanding he do his best or don't bother..... I also bossed the other guys around.....they learned to stand still during the National Anthem....They learned to be there when the team mates were on the mat, not off goofing around. I was that mom.
Yes, he went to states and got me that medal. Even at state competitions at the Palace, I had hand sewing with me. Have to say though, Saturday's hand binding a quilt was always my favorite.
That stinky wrestler went on to wrestle for the Marine corp..... He is still a Marine but now does MMA. If you think wrestling is rough to watch, just wait. When ever I bind a quilt, knit a stitch or do some hand sewing, I think of stinky Saturdays in gyms.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Wow, that sounds soooo familiar. I never liked wrestling in the beginning, either. But I had a different beginning. I was a bus driver. I took about 2 wrestling trips before I said "no more". Spitting in cups to loose weight made me want to puke!! They don't do that any more, thank goodness. Then a couple years later I took one and quite enjoyed it. A couple of the girls sat with me and explained some of what was going on, and I always took sewing to do. I cross stitched myself a sweatshirt one week and wore it the next. Some of the boys noticed. I was impressed. I also worked stuffing papers for a weekly in town. We would stuff papers all night, and they did it in the back half of the bus garage where our buses were parked. So at 6:00 in the morning, I just walked up front and took the bus. Then when I got whereever the match was, I would crawl back and lay accross the isle on 2 seats and sleep. Not comfortable, but it worked. LOL I would wake up in time to go watch the finals and we always stopped to eat on the way home. I thought I had the best deal in town!!!! LOL Of course it always makes a difference when your kids are particcipating. My youngest daughter was a distance runner. Never thought I would enjoy watching that. I got a LOT of excercise watching those meets. LOL And yes, I am THAT mom, too! I always blame it on being a bus driver. You had so many kids to keep in line, it was hard to turn that off. I have repremanded many a strangers child in my day, and I have cheered them on as well.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:22 AM

LOL I had to laugh, I guess I am that mom too. Although my son didn't wrestle, he was in marching band. Many cold, rainy Friday nights sitting through a football game just for those few minutes of half time! Didn't help that our football was losing most of the time. But I wouldn't trade a second of those nights. I didn't usually take sewing because it was usually too dark (and frequently raining or snowing), but I did do a lot of knitting.