Raising Chickens

Old 04-15-2009, 12:58 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moonpi
If you have a fireplace or woodstove, wood ashes kill mites- just throw them in a place where they like to take dust baths, like under a bush. I've never really had a problem with them.
Hey thanks for that tip - will definitely try that on my girls!

K x

PS Evil thought - better make sure the ashes are cool first otherwise might end up with roast chicken! :lol:
Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by Moonpi
If you have a fireplace or woodstove, wood ashes kill mites- just throw them in a place where they like to take dust baths, like under a bush. I've never really had a problem with them.
Hey thanks for that tip - will definitely try that on my girls!

K x

PS Evil thought - better make sure the ashes are cool first otherwise might end up with roast chicken! :lol:
LOL :)
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Henry,

We always had RI Reds when I was a kid, nice sized brown eggs (we got a premium price for brown eggs) Roosters were meaner than mean, but my mom wasn't afraid of them at all!! They usually ended in the soup pot, although one particularily mean one (he attacked a grandkid) just ended up in a hole out back :shock: :shock: (moral of the story..don't tick off mom!!) The locals around your place can probably give the best advice as far as coops and predators, and they don't mind your asking!! Seems to me they molted every year and didn't lay very often at that time. My memory could be wrong though :lol: Have fun and learn lots!!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mommaB
Henry,

We always had RI Reds when I was a kid, nice sized brown eggs (we got a premium price for brown eggs) Roosters were meaner than mean, but my mom wasn't afraid of them at all!! They usually ended in the soup pot, although one particularily mean one (he attacked a grandkid) just ended up in a hole out back :shock: :shock: (moral of the story..don't tick off mom!!) The locals around your place can probably give the best advice as far as coops and predators, and they don't mind your asking!! Seems to me they molted every year and didn't lay very often at that time. My memory could be wrong though :lol: Have fun and learn lots!!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM

UPDATE:

Was telling my neighbor about my idea and she said she thinks the town has to approve of me having chickens and that I can have no more than 4 chickens on my land. I thought we were not within the town limits so I am going to have to go check tomorrow or friday.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Oh, good luck Henry, hope you can get some. There are places in the UK where you can't keep chickens. Where I live in France, every second house has them!

K x
Old 04-16-2009, 01:17 PM

I have really enjoyed reading this thread! I have learned so much about chickens. :wink:
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Couldnt talk to the person that knows anything cause they are on vacation til next week.