Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ran the Vac today and brought back a memory. >

Ran the Vac today and brought back a memory.

Ran the Vac today and brought back a memory.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Default Ran the Vac today and brought back a memory.

Well I just run the vac. the dog ears from trimming blocks were taking over the floor. and it reminded me of being still at home with Mom and Dad. Well Dad would build these beautiful Martin boxes. They would look like churches or other buildings. such as a barn. then he would plant them on top of a tall pole, and put tin around the bottom for about 4 ft so the cats could not climb them. And then if a starling came around he would get so mad lol. And I know u r wondering what this has to do with me running the vac. Well it was not picking up right, had a lot of those tiny dog ears on the floor from quilting. and so i decided to empty it. Now I have to tell u that baby was slam packed full. It does not take a bag. u just open the top and the bottom and empty it. Well, it was full. and I had to pull it out by hand ( I know yuck ) lol and most of it was, well held together with my hair. ok now this is where the story comes together Dad would always tell us girls to go outside and brush or comb our hair. and let the hair float away. and it would be put to use by his Martins to construct nests in those beautiful bird homes he had built. LOL and from now on. I am going back to brushing my hair outside. no Martin boxes here. lol but way better for the Vac. Does this happen to you. something you are doing will bring back a childhood memories, . If so tell us about it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Did you ever check the nests to see if they actually used any of that hair?

We used to have dogs that would shed chunks of hair at a time in the summer - but that usually happened after the birds had build their nests.

Funny thing, hardly ever saw that hair laying around after a day or so.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I brush my dogs outside and by the end of the day the hair is gone. I have looked out the window shortly after and watch the different birds pick up the hair. Believe it or not a few squirrels in the fall.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Did you ever check the nests to see if they actually used any of that hair?

We used to have dogs that would shed chunks of hair at a time in the summer - but that usually happened after the birds had build their nests.

Funny thing, hardly ever saw that hair laying around after a day or so.
Yes they used it. but the best part was that the hair was not inside the house. lol and would always remind us if she caught us brushing it inside. With my two aunties who where in college and me. and mom lots of long hair
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM

our old dog, zach, lived to be almost 14 1/2 years old. he spent most of his life indoors, but loved to lay in the sun and bask, as he got old. our youngest daughter loved to go out there and brush him, and brush him. he ws part collie, and left tons of fur behind in the summer when she'd use that brush. we eventually had to have him put to sleep--his misery outweighed his joy, and his pain was evident. we all cried buckets, and it was about 6 months later when we finally got our border collie (who made it to 16 1/2). the youngest daughter was out in the back yard with maggie, the new dog, when she found a tiny deserted nest (it was fall, by then) in one of the brushy, overgrown trees. she came tearing back into the house with it in her hands--it was carefully lined with zach's unmistakeable buff and white fur. it brought back sweet memories of one of the best dogs ever. she carefully saved it, and it is in our china cabinet, still. it made brushing the new dog much more of a goal for the daughter, since it benefitted some other creature in the yard.

and i connect a lot of things to my childhood--even the sound of the forks i toss into the drawer--they are old silver-plate, and they "sing" when they hit each other in there. i hope that our kids will have some of those moments when they get older. (last night my son in law made a comment to my middle daughter that their son, who is one of two that i babysit, "smelled like grandma's house". i hope that's a good thing...)
Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1 View Post
our old dog, zach, lived to be almost 14 1/2 years old. he spent most of his life indoors, but loved to lay in the sun and bask, as he got old. our youngest daughter loved to go out there and brush him, and brush him. he ws part collie, and left tons of fur behind in the summer when she'd use that brush. we eventually had to have him put to sleep--his misery outweighed his joy, and his pain was evident. we all cried buckets, and it was about 6 months later when we finally got our border collie (who made it to 16 1/2). the youngest daughter was out in the back yard with maggie, the new dog, when she found a tiny deserted nest (it was fall, by then) in one of the brushy, overgrown trees. she came tearing back into the house with it in her hands--it was carefully lined with zach's unmistakeable buff and white fur. it brought back sweet memories of one of the best dogs ever. she carefully saved it, and it is in our china cabinet, still. it made brushing the new dog much more of a goal for the daughter, since it benefitted some other creature in the yard.

and i connect a lot of things to my childhood--even the sound of the forks i toss into the drawer--they are old silver-plate, and they "sing" when they hit each other in there. i hope that our kids will have some of those moments when they get older. (last night my son in law made a comment to my middle daughter that their son, who is one of two that i babysit, "smelled like grandma's house". i hope that's a good thing...)
awe what a great story. and I am with you. Lost my baby girl when she was 11. But she would always say when we did something together. "We're making memories Mommy " and i am so thankful for all those memories.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

When ever I cut my grandkid's hair I get them to hold still by telling them they can hide the cut off hair in the yard for the birdies to find. They do hide the hair and it is never there next time they come over.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
When ever I cut my grandkid's hair I get them to hold still by telling them they can hide the cut off hair in the yard for the birdies to find. They do hide the hair and it is never there next time they come over.
what a great idea. and some day they may carry it on with their children. It is a great memory that you are making with them.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 AM

Yes, it does. I was running vac yesterday and remembering how my mother used to take our vac from Selma to Birmingham to run it at my grandmother's house. Grandmother never had one to my knowledge, used a broom all her life. Many years later my mother's health was poor and I used to vac for her. She never wanted me to though, always said she didn't want me to work when I came to visit. But my father was messy and the place needed it! I never minded doing it, and now that they have passed on, it is a good memory for me - that I was able to do something helpful.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 AM

You have all brought tears to my eyes. Thanks an hugs