Re-gifting and me-gifting.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM

I me-gift pretty often since I am alone now. I know Joe would say "Go for it if you want it!" I gifted me with a Vitamix last year and I dearly love it. I also agree with you other ladies...I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I just bought a piece of Ephraim Pottery for my Christmas gift this year...it should arrive any day now.

Joe never bought me anything that was considered a home "tool". One year I wanted tile for the kitchen floor and he gave me a rope of pearls (which I love). He said you know we will change the kitchen floor to tile if you want. Wow, do I miss that man!!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 PM

I told DH before we were ever married that home appliances were gifts - they were necessities to be bought when needed. That said, a couple of years ago we decided to stop gift giving for each other. But last year he went behind my back and bought gifts - one of which was a cheap vacuum. Granted, cheap is what I wanted for our upstairs but hadn't thoroughly researched what specific one I wanted. Only a couple of months later he came home from work and found it in the front yard. I got tired of fixing it and putting it back together every time I used it! Smart man didn't bat an eye - just took it to his brother's house. I emphatically told him again recently when I was looking at a sale flyer for vacuums to NOT BUY ONE! I think maybe he'll listen this time!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM

One year I bought a pricey princess house crystal 2 tiered candy dish for a friend (or so I thought she was). I thought she'd like it, since it was really expensive. She accused me of re-gifting and threw it back at me stating it was probably very cheap since it was missing a screw. I contacted the company and was able to trade it in for a santa cookie plate and santa milk glass! My family has used that every year since. Unfortunately I'm reminded every year of her rude behavior. However, we get the last laugh! Ha ha ha!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I have regifted; its better than either sitting around cluttering things up or at the thrift store. Me gifting; oh yes. When I was first marriend many many yrs ago I bought my self a Christmas present and the label said; To Mike, For Judy. He didn't catch on until he opened it and found a sewing machine. I told him to reread the label. Then he got it.
Now, I'm alone and last yr I got myself a Viking Ruby for Christmas and this yr I traded it for a Diamond Deluxe and for under the tree I want the Cusinhart Blender that also cooks the food. Last yr it was over 200, this yr under 100. I love making soups and this will be a great gift to myself. While it's cooking my beloved soup I can be embroiderying on my new machine. When I me gift, it's amazing, I never feel the need to return the gift to the store. Its always just what I want.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS response....Ha.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM

I just did a me-gifting. bought myself a new in the box sewing machine. Never had a NEW sewing machine. LOVE IT
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM

My me-gifts are the best .... just what i wanted, the right size and the main reason , it makes my husband so very happy .....he hates to shop. it is win win for us.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM

I remember one year many yrs ago. My kids were small. We went to my parents about a week before Christmas. My Mom was always famous for changing into night clothes very early in the evening. She came walking out wearing a new nightgown..a brand new robe..and would you believe pink fuzzy slippers. I was appalled. She said she wanted to make she got what she wanted. Good Grief! Really ruined the shopping experience for two little girls. I thought it was pretty rude. She never did that again!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Well, I don't usually re-gift and I never heard of ME-gifting until now. I guess you could say I me-gifted myself a Benz 2 seater convertible this summer. I think I'll me-gift myself a Viking sewing machine for X-Mas.. Sounds like a good plan to me. LOL
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Power Poster

I only regift if I know some one really wants that partyicular item and they would be ok with it. It is often to one of my 14 children as they have seen it and basically asked for it. I am just starting to me gift. Like others said else I would not get it.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM

I have been quilting for about a year now and realized the need to purchase a gift. Although they have a basket full of toys, my two kitties think my pincushion is the most exciting thing I've brought into the house in years. Since I have to put it away when not using it, I finally bought them their own. It's Christmas at my house and Mom can sew again!