Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Read any good books lately? >

Read any good books lately?

Read any good books lately?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM

What about biographies of his favorite people? How about the "classics"? Another thought - travelogues ("A Walk Across America" - old title, but excellent comes to mind)? Anything by Bill Bryson (humor). Old time mysteries - Dashiell Hammett ("The Maltese Falcon"), Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe series), Agatha Christie...so many others. "Seabiscut" or other sports titles? I agree, "Unbroken" was an excellent book.

What is your DH's favorite genre? If you can, go to your local library and browse the shelves to get more ideas. God luck!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:01 PM

baldaci, jonathan or faith kellerman (very different from each other, both excellent) for something different there are some 12th century mysteries, author is an A name, alexander, l think. carl hiaason, humor in a mystery. also,dana stabenow? an alaskan mystery series.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Both my DH and I read a lot, some of our favorites are Lillian Jackson Braun (these are snack books for us, listen to them on trip great way to pass the time), Clive Clussler ( Most of his have some kind of history and are ocean related), any thing by Frank Herbert. Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is good, David Baldacci's Camel Club series and other ones from him are good. DH likes Dean Koontz, and Michael Crichton, I like Joanne Fluke she writes about a cookie shop in a small town in MN. Great cookie recipes in the books.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Alex Mcnight series by Steve hamilton.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 AM

James Patterson has new books out. Barnes and Noble has the latest on sale. He's always good and so is John Grisham (not sure if pelled right) but I've loved every book I've read and my son likes these two as well. I just ordered the latest of Mary Higgen's Clark books. One she co-authored with someone other than her daughter. But cosidering she's in her 80's I think the fact she's still writing is great.

One additional note, go to a site like Barnes and Noble and when you see a book you might like you can ususally get a sample ebook to see if you might like it.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 AM

Historical, biography, and historical fiction are my favorites. But anything about days of yore intrigues me. The most captivating book I've read is the true story. "Crossing the Borders of Time: A True Story of War, Exile, and Love Reclaimed" by Leslie Maitland. What a wonderful, wonderful book.

Also, "Jackie Without Jack" by Christopher Andersen. At my age the Kennedy façade still intrigues me.

I found them both through my local library--electronically. And they are fairly recent books. I love that I can borrow library books on my tablet for free!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:38 AM

I'm a big sci-fi and fantasy geek, so if you need any book recommendations in THOSE genres just let me know. I read an average of 2-3 books per week and when I'm on vacation can easily burn through a book a day...it's an addiction!

Authors I think are fantastic, I'll limit myself to just one in each genre or I'd have a huge list here! Anything by either of these guys is totally worth reading:

1. Brandon Sanderson for Fantasy and Fiction - best new author I've read in YEARS, and now he's branching out into youth fiction. His "Mistborn" trilogy has some really cool ideas in it and some unique "magic".

2. Ben Bova - a genius for hard science fiction; he used to work for NASA so he really knows the science and he's a skilled author so he makes it feel very real; he has dozens of books under his belt and I think I've read all of them. He's still writing more, too. I can't even recommend one in particular, they're all really really good and most of them tie together in some way or another.

Ok, I lied...one more. Larry Niven is also a giant for sci fi. Another author who I read (and re-read) every book he's ever written. Although, avoid the sequels to Ringworld. Ringworld itself is a classic and is fantastic...the sequels are dull and unimaginative. Not worth your time.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Right now I'm reading London: The novel by Edward Rutherfurd. Start with Sarum: The novel of England. Great historical fiction. I like this author just as much if not better then Ken Follett who is wonderful. Also I bought Rush Limbaugh's history book series and they are great. My 12 year old grandson loved them. His history teacher was very impressed with what he knew that wasn't in the class text book. She said he knew as much as she did from college history. I remember a quote I heard when I was really young and it stuck with me. A person who can read and does not should be pitied more then the person who cannot read. I didn't want to be pitied so I started reading. LOL. Funny how young brains thinks.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:24 AM

SHACK it`s so good that my daughter bought it 5 times, loans it out and they never send it back! She picked me one up at a rummage sale and said she hoped her own mother would give it back to her. I haven`t had time to read it, but will after Christmas!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:19 AM

I ditto DJ. The Ken Foulet Century series is excellent....I listen to them on audio books while I sew.