Really more mug rugs? LOL

Old 12-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Default Really more mug rugs? LOL

I have a drawer full of nice mug rugs, potholders, table toppers, and small quilted decorations from years past. I can't donate them to the guild table as the givers are all members. I have mentioned many times I have more of these items then I can use but still get them for gifts. I am so glad I have quilt friends, that has nothing to do with it how I feel about the gifts. I cleared out another drawer.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

how about donating them to a meals on wheels. the people there would love them.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

If they are all rectangles/ squares, how about rotary cutting off the bindings and join them together QAYG style for a lap quilt or table topper?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

hmmm, fire department or police sometimes take things with them to give to those in need.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Our Furniture Mission loves those things. We can donate all basic household items for needy people getting a home to call their own.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Tartan has a great idea!
I have a larger mug rug...about 7" x 9.5".... that I use as my mouse pad. Works perfectly! As I rarely drink hot drinks, I had to think of something I could use this for; it was a gift from the past president of the guild for services rendered.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

My first thoughts were also to give them to a charity, meals on wheels, etc.

Also use them as gifts for Christmas or otherwise.
Solo, they make a nice wee gift for someone you want to say thank you to.

Or if you need a more substantial gift, combine one with a coffee/tea mug, coffees/teas and munchies, etc.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:54 AM

When my husband was in a care facility, one of the nurses inquired if I'd make "coasters" for each in his unit. They were using washcloths under the glasses at the bedside. The coasters made it look more homelike and saved the washcloths for their intended purpose. Perhaps a facility such as this close to your home would appreciate a donation from your drawer.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
When my husband was in a care facility, one of the nurses inquired if I'd make "coasters" for each in his unit. They were using washcloths under the glasses at the bedside. The coasters made it look more homelike and saved the washcloths for their intended purpose. Perhaps a facility such as this close to your home would appreciate a donation from your drawer.
Super idea and thanks for sharing it. If we just know where to look, there are many good causes similar to this.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:18 AM

Stitch a small loop of ribbon on the back and and use them as labels for gifts. If you embroider, embroider names on them. If not, just tape your normal Christmas tag to the front and tie them to the bow/ribbon on your packages. Just make sure the recipients know what they are so they do not throw them away. I am thinking of so many family and friends who would love to get them as gifts. Or wrap them up in clear paper with a coffee mug and a packet of hot chocolate with pretty ribbon and gift them to the postman, UPS driver, beautician, doctor/receptionists, etc. They would love them as well! Coffee mugs at the dollar store are perfect for this!