Refrences for a new job.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 AM

I am 35 years old. I have been at my current job for just about 16 years. Long time - I know. In the last year, our company has taken 5% of our wage away, changed the way salary people use time off to manditory "paid time off", and do not pay for holidays, not to mention, we can't even use our paid time off for holidays. The only perk to be ing salary for me was if I was sick - I did not have to use one of my days. That is now gone also. Our office also moved from one side of town to the other increasing my drive to and from by more than a half hour from what it was.

When I stared, it was owned by one man. He sold it to 5 managers. Things have since changed including all of the things above.

All this being said, I think I have reached my limit. I have a ton of industry in the town I live in, but have stuck it out here becuase I know what to expect. And I have to admit I was always afraid to leave. That has changed. I am now ready to go.

So, my problem lies in that number 1. I don't have any school under my belt other than high school, and number 2 have worked here so long, don't I have any refrences to use.

Any suggestions for the refrences part? I know people here think I do a good job, but of course I don't want them to know I am looking for a new job. So I can't use any of them. Being here so long, I don't have really any other work experience.

If I explain that to possible future employers would they take that into consideration?

I have to get out of here!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:12 AM

Can you ask the original owner for a reference? what about clergy, etc?

Rose Hall

ps. good luck with the job search! it's tough out there!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 AM

Thats a good idea. I never even thought about the old owner. :)
Old 05-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

You will probably need to include a reference related to your current employment, so is their a co-worker that would work, rather than a manager. Barring that try to use community members you have dealt with on some level that are highly respected (church officials, local government members, person of high standing in local organizations, school officials). If you have worked with any of these people in groups or organizations outside of your employment they at least can speak to you abilities to organize, complete tasks, work in group environments, etc.
Hope this gives you some ideas, and good luck in finding your new career.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 AM

I don't know what you did there but if you worked in the office or had any dealings with the people that your company did business with, maybe you could use them as a reference. Also, any supervisors on the floor maybe? Good luck with your new job. Also, I do think that your new employer will take into consideration that you haven't got a lot of references due to the fact that you have stayed with the same company for 16 years. Finding that trait in someone these days is hard to do. Most people don't stay that long. People nowadays change jobs like they change underwear! That is a big plus for you!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 AM

I have worked with some customers over 10 years. That is a great idea!!!!

You guys are totally making me feel better!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 AM

Great suggestions! Good luck in your search.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

I was in the same boat , but all the cost cutting measures couldn't save our company and just hurt me in the long run with unemployment :hunf:

I had worked there for 16 years and the company I worked for before this one is no longer in business ( it was a bank that got bought and sold several times) , After they closed I called a couple of people I had contact with and they were more than willing to help me out with references :lol: Just be careful that any customers you talk to will be discrete so the current company doesn't find out the wrong way.

As for no education, what do you call the 15 years of working ? That is better than a school education, you have practical hands on training ! That is very valuable

GOOD LUCK !
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Pam

Lots of good advise here, good luck, I am sure you will land on your feet. Let your friends know you are looking, they may know of someone who is looking for a loyal employee. NOW what we need is loyal employers!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 AM

The 15+ years of hands on experience is more valuable than you probably realize. The fact that you have had the same job for so long also shows many good points to employers-dedication, responsibility & DEPENDABILITY :-) You may not have oodles of work references but your track record with the one should pull a good deal of weight.
I know when I am looking to hire new employees I always look at how long at each job as a key factor-I need people who are dedicated to their work and not "bouncing" around. I do not want to train new employees over and over. In the long run that costs more than hiring someone who stays put :-)
Hugs
April