Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember this?  "Just a small thing ...." >

Remember this? "Just a small thing ...."

Remember this? "Just a small thing ...."

Old 09-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Posted a pic of a gift I made for a friend - with my brother's help - and thought I would share my friend's reaction to it with you!

This is the original post:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-139702-1.htm

When I gave it to her, she said thank you and placed it on her counter. I visited her this past week and noticed it was not on the counter but didn't see it. We are very close (we call ourselves "fristers") so I asked what she had done with it and if she liked it. She did not! Well she liked the concept but didn't like the black color of the frame or the fabric I used for the background!

What surprised me the most was not her comment, but my reaction. With most people, my feelings would have been hurt I think but with her, I just said, well it's yours, do with it what you will!

I am writing not to garner any pity but to give voice to how much I appreciate having this kind of friendship! We constantly agree to disagree on many subjects and I guess that is why we can be so open and honest.

My prayer is that each and every one of you have such a relationship in your life with someone! It is one of the most uplifting gifts you can receive and give.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM

That is too bad. I would have loved to get that . I think it is beautiful.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:50 AM

I think it's gorgeous too.

I'm not sure that I have a person in my life like that, and I'm not sure that I could be as understanding as you are about it.

I, for one, would love to have something like that!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:58 AM

So for her next birthday take her with you to pick fabric she likes than to Lowes or Depot to get paint that compliments and redo it. She gets the colors she wants plus she has a keepsake gift, and you and your brother's hard work stays with it's intended receiver- and you don't have to figure out what to get her this year!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

It is pretty - I love hummingbirds -

It truly is awesome that you can feel that way about/with each other.

Not many of us do have a relationship like that.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Gee. it was a lovely gift..And good for you having the ability not to be hurt by her voicing her opinion on your gift. I don't know how many people would have appreciated that...
Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Next year for her birthday you can give me one of those, and give your sister some hummingbird nectar.
Or, give her another one just like it.
Fristers, remember?
Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 PM

That is EXACTLY the BEST kind of "Bestie" to have! :) I happen to think she's wrong, and you can take the hummingbird back and send it to me instead, but I'm ever so glad you have her! :)
Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 PM

I agree. I have a very close friend and we have a lot of 180' differences in our tastes at time but we are allowed to say: Dear Lord, that is ugly, you can't possibly like that! And we laugh at each other without getting bent out of shape etc. True friendship can agress to disagree and still love each other and accept the differences! Which is why I buy some people gift cards and don't waste time on something handmade that they wouldn't like etc.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:09 PM

I think she could have been more tactful and maybe even done a little white lie...I wonder what color she would have liked? I think it was beautiful...you should ask for it back...LOL