Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember Gifts From Your Kids? >

Remember Gifts From Your Kids?

Remember Gifts From Your Kids?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 AM

Since Christmas is coming, I wonder how many of us remember things our kids got us when they were little.

We still laugh at the grass growing out of a chia mans head...LOL
Not for the holidays, but for my BD.....the youngest girl took her own money to get me a card.The front said
"Happy Belated Birthday".When her Dad asked why it said belated,she said "what does that mean?

Things that cost nothing seem to be what we remember most.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 AM

OMG! the cute things they made in elem. school! I have an "olive dish" made of clay. It shrunk so much it would hold one olive!! The yellow clay trinket box with lid( lid sits lopsided), the Xmas ice candle( put Xmas paper in a milk carton, added broken ice cubes and poured melted wax over it. ) The clothspin doll that is suppose to look like me(LOL) and the jar lid with a school picture, glitter and ribbon. I wouldn"t part with any of them, and they come out every year, much to the embarrassment of the makers.LOL It is funny tho, one year the candle had been misplaced , and I didn't have it sitting out, and the maker, 25 years old at the time, asked why it wasn't there. So I think those gifts mean as much to the makers as they do to us mom's.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 AM

One unforgetable gift was my very own hampster. The kids wanted a hampster and knew I wouldn't let them have it so they gave me one for Christmas. How could I say no then??!! Hahaha!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryb119
One unforgetable gift was my very own hampster. The kids wanted a hampster and knew I wouldn't let them have it so they gave me one for Christmas. How could I say no then??!! Hahaha!
Gotta give your kids high marks for creativity! Did you get to like the hamster - eventually?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

A few years back my oldest son brought home the ugliest clay mug for me that he made but I love it and it sits on my entertainmant center for all to see. I miss the elementary years when they would bring home cards and gifts made from construction paper and crayons. I have 1 getting ready to start school so I will have even more memories to come.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Gotta give your kids high marks for creativity! Did you get to like the hamster - eventually?
The hampster, named Radar, lived in a cage and became the family mascot. I thought he looked like a tailess rat but the kids enjoyed him.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 AM

My daughter would bring me things like the lopsided clay box too, but she never brought me the "number one mom" things like I remembered. I mentioned this to her one day when she was at the house with the BF Du Jour and the BF went to school and made me a mug that says "Number one Mom". The BF is long gone but I use the mug alot.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM

PLEASE don't give this idea to my kids!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM

THAT is hilarious!!!!

My oldest is only 5, but so far the best was the necklace she made me for mother's day that is "for us to share!" lol I do love the Christmas ornaments they make at school. She started making them when she was 2, in daycare, so we have 3 so far. I always get a wave of nostalgia when I hang those on the tree.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 AM
bj

In '86, my 3rd grade son made me a message board. I still use it. It's laminated poster board that he stenciled a bird on. And he cringes when he sees the tree at Christmas with all of his "contributions". I love them.