Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember ladies head scarves? >

Remember ladies head scarves?

Remember ladies head scarves?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:15 AM

If you are female and of a certain age (like me...lol) you might remember wearing scarves (my MIL called them babushkas) when it was windy and/or cold. I was born in 1950 and I remember wearing them to school year after year. I never had any other kind of head covering, nor did my friends.
If truth be told, I would still wear them if I could find them and wouldn't be considered a kook. :D
Some of them were beautiful.
Anyway, what's happened to them?
I'd like to buy some to use in a few craft projects and, although ebay has some now and then, the prices are too much for me.
I guess they're considered collector items now maybe.
I remember them being pretty inexpensive (I'm speaking of the non-silk ones)
Does anyone know where I can buy some at a "normal" price?
I've googled a little and can only find silk ones.
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 AM

I bought one years ago at TJ Maxx. If you have one in your area, maybe try there.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:28 AM

I grew up in NE Ohio about 10 years after you. My mom and grandmother wore babushkas all the time. I wore a few as a young child but they were going out of fashion in the wild and crazy 60s. I went to high school in the 70s and wouldn't have been caught in one for anything. You are right, some were very beautiful, and they were available everywhere, at dime stores as well as clothing stores.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 AM

Is it something you could make?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 AM

Awww, the dreaded "head scarf" I also grew up in the 50's and remember my mom insisting that I wear one every time I went outside in the winter (YUCK!) The one I remember the most was a white wool one -- it itched me like crazy. I hated that thing so much. As soon as I was out of sight of the house, it came off (even though mom would do one of those "double tie knot" things under my chin):lol: :lol: I kept trying to "lose" it on our crowded bus but that thing just kept coming back.... :lol: :lol:
Old 02-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I kept trying to "lose" it on our crowded bus but that thing just kept coming back.... :lol: :lol:
:-P :-P :-P Me too. I think my mother had a magnet or something in mine. I even left my wool one (green....ick....I've always hated green) at a friend's house where there were 7 girls!!! Somehow that thing was waiting for me on Sunday morning for church. Maybe they didn't like green either :D
Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 AM

There are other scarves not necessarily for heads but you could use them for just that or in q uilts
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM

I grew up in the late 50-s and 60's and wore them to school and around the farm. My sister in law gave my mother a Vera Bradley quilted handbag last year and included with it was a head scarf to match. It was a beautiful blue pattern to match the purse. You can find some on Amazon.com, but they were a limited collection from Vera Bradley. Mom is particular about her purses, so I wound up with both the purse and scarf. I carry the headscarf for walks on the beach -- beautiful soft silk material. All the ladies in the old movies wore them in the convertibles and I thought they looked great.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 AM

Amazon? Really?
I never think to search there except for books and dvd's.
thanks I go look now.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 AM

I also grew up in the 50's and remember the head scarves. My younger sister wore my favorite one to school one day and came home without it. I was heartbroken. She had given it to another girl who liked it. Funny the little things we can remember. My Grandma also called them babushkas. I know what you mean about mom having radar, except it was my Dad. If you walked in after school without your scarf or your boots he knew it and boy were you in trouble.