Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Remember the news story of the lady who spilled hot coffee and sued McDonald's? >

Remember the news story of the lady who spilled hot coffee and sued McDonald's?

Remember the news story of the lady who spilled hot coffee and sued McDonald's?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Default Remember the news story of the lady who spilled hot coffee and sued McDonald's?

This video tells the real story. I was shocked at the truth about it. She deserved much much more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkL9UlmCOE#t=697
Old 10-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Wow, that was very eye-opening. I have to admit, I was one who thought at the time that this woman had really taken advantage of the situation. I had no idea until today of how she suffered and of all the facts that we never got to know about at the time. It's no wonder so many people misread this whole situation. We can only know as much as the media chooses to tell us, and it seems they left out a LOT.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Well, at least now we have the internet to research a story like this. It is sad that you just can not trust the news media.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Older skin is very fragile! I am sure this contributed to the 3rd degree burns. I have found that all fast food hot beverage cups are very fragile once you remove the lid.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:07 PM

I saw that yesterday and I also thought the same as Suzutte316. So glad the family got the truth out. So sad that woman had to deal with all of the wrong media reports and jokes for so many years. Very, very said indead....
Old 10-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Being in the insurance industry handling such claims from 1975 - 2010, I was aware of the facts of the case when it came down and the part that frustrated me the most about the reporting was the failure is report the contributory negligence part of the case. The poor woman was found to be negligent for her actions, but it did not excuse the temperature of the coffee being served. It is called contributory negligence. I do not believe she was entitled to more money - remember it all comes back on the consumers when we give away money in court cases (I won't bore you more about how they develop the value of a case) - but the fact that she was held partially responsible should have been part of the story.

Burns are incredibly delicate injuries. When in doubt if a burn should be treated by a doctor - go to the Emergency Room. There are horror stories out there where it appeared to be fairly minor and and it kept burning inside.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:42 PM

I agree. I think she should have gotten more money, but I also think she is partially to blame for putting hot coffee in between her legs. I think McDonald's was wrong in not acknowledging their responsibility in that their coffee was too hot, but we also have to implore a little common sense in that something that hot has no business being between your legs especially when these cups are flimsy to begin with. Both are at fault but the corporation should have stepped up to the plate and paid the medical bills, it would have cost them a lot less money if the would have given then the 10k upfront for their negligence in the situation. I do agree the media did not help with giving up all the facts which is why I don't watch the news very often you don't know what to believe with how everything is spinned.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 PM

It just goes to show that what we think we know and the truth can be totally on opposite ends of the spectrum. This woman should not have had to go through the public scrutiny and would not have if the story was told in its entirety. We should all be ashamed of our selves for the thoughts we had when this happened. I know I am.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
the fact that she was held partially responsible should have been part of the story.
Her being negligent was factored in the settlement as the video explained. McDonalds was fined the 2 million for being more negligent then the customer and for stating the incidents of burning by their products were too insignificant to worry about. The video showed how the dollar amount was calculated.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM

coffee brewed that hot tastes like crap. I'm so sorry for that woman's misery.