Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Repairing a shoulder strap on a computer bag

Repairing a shoulder strap on a computer bag

A friend of mine asked me to repair the shoulder strap on her computer bag. The strap can be doubled over onto itself and stitched into place, no problem.

Does anyone have any tip as to what kind of thread, needle, etc. to use for this repair so it holds up? She carries more than just a laptop in this bag, it gets quite heavy, and I'd hate for the repair to give way and have her lose something or the computer fall out and break

I suggested she just replace the bag and she likes the bag, doesn't like change, and wants to repair the bag.

So, any suggestions?
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

I use dental floss and hand stitch, and try to use the same stitch holes. To darken the floss I use permanent marker.
    Last edited by Lori S; 10-18-2012 at 08:57 AM.

You can take it to a shoe repair shop (we have one locally) and they can use their strong machines and heavy thread.
    raynhamquilter
    I hope you dance!

Power Poster
    ​Depending on how thick the strap is, I wonder if you could do a machine buttonhole through it? The buttonhole would sew it together and to further ensure safety, you could put a binder ring or carabiner (sp)clip through the buttonhole for her keys?

Blog Entries
    if you dont' want to repair it, she should be able to find a shoe repair shop that can. they sew in leather and such all the time. I miss our shoe repair man. he moved to the mountains! now one must mail things to him.