repurposing

Old 01-23-2017, 04:45 AM

Default repurposing

My young grandson has asthma. His other grandmother picked up a package of vent covers that are to be placed behind the vents of the heating system. This product looks similar to very thin batting or an interfacing product. Do you suppose it's the same thing? I recall being advised to use cheesecloth to line registers but I'm wondering about interfacing or even used dryer sheets. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-23-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

We have our vents cleaned out every two years and the service said the linings weren't necessary. But no one here has any allergies or asthma. I think it would be a good use of scrap batting though to catch any extra dust.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM

I use them and I have asthma, they do work. You will be amazed how much dust and particles it collects.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM

I would stick with the purchased ones unless they are scented. Batting might be okay, but dryer sheets get a huge NO for this job, especially with asthma in the picture. Dryer sheets are full of chemicals none of us should be exposed to.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I don't have an answer here, but am wondering ..........
............ if using batting, could that not produce lint into the environment as the air is forced through?
.... and ultimately, would that not negatively affect the health of an asthmatic?

In this instance, I think I would stick with the professionally developed products for the vents
while ensuring the furnace filter is changed regularly with an appropriate product, as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 AM

Call the company that maintains your heating system. My guess is that you will get a great big, resounding NO! You can damage your heating system if the air flow is restricted.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:36 AM

I also have asthma. I buy the standard vent filters (several when on sale) and change them frequently. Some asthmatics need to change filters monthly, as I do during heavy pollen season.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I would not try to use other materials to line vents. Before using the actual vent liners, I would check with the furnace company to make sure that they won't void warranties or cause damage to the HVAC. There is no way to know all of the chemicals that might have been used in the manufacture of batting, interfacing or dryer sheets, traces of which might remain in the products. Asthma can be triggered by so many things, I wouldn't take the chance.

For asthma, I would get everyone to chip in to purchase a Rabbit Air air purifier. We have them in our bedrooms and the living room and they really do work quietly to clean the air. Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Air-fr...dp/B0057IKJPQ/
For the child's bedroom, you could go with the smaller one:
https://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Air-Bi...dp/B00GH19UW0/
We have both, but I like the Minus A2 the best. It has an extra filter, cleans a larger area, and is very quiet.

My sister has a cat who seems to have either allergies or asthma (the vet couldn't determine which). After about $1,000 in vet bills, I had my sister buy the MinusA2 for her apartment. The investment has more than paid for itself in the last year. The cat's breathing has improved and the vet appointments have been eliminated.

I don't know a lot about asthma, but I believe it is a lifelong condition that can have very serious episodes. My thinking is that an investment in an air purifier now will more than pay for itself in terms of improved breathing and perhaps fewer episodes, less severe episodes, less medication, and fewer emergency or doctor visits.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
I also have asthma. I buy the standard vent filters (several when on sale) and change them frequently. Some asthmatics need to change filters monthly, as I do during heavy pollen season.
I find that changing the filters regularly (monthly) are the best bet for my asthmatic family. I just jot it down on my calendar and just make sure I do it. I, too, buy filters on sale. I used to buy the expensive ones to change not as often, but I found that the cheaper ones changed more frequently, work just as well and save me some money too.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 PM

asthma runs in my DH family--usually the males. My son's allergy doctor had us change the heater air filter monthly--yes write on your calendar to remind you ! and he said cheap filters work fine when you change that often (plus better air flow). for my son's bedroom we had to take out carpet (thankfully there were lovely hardwoods hidden there), wash ALL bedding weekly, encase the mattress in an anti-allergen mattress cover and the only stuffed animals he could have were those that could be washed in the washer and dried by machine. Try finding appropriate stuffed animals--had to go to craft shows or make myself. Oh, and get rid of curtains--better to have vinyl or metal shades. All this, plus allergy shots and nebulizer 3 times a day from age 2-10 and today he only has to treat as needed.