Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
ROKU -- if you have one, please explain how it works. >

ROKU -- if you have one, please explain how it works.

ROKU -- if you have one, please explain how it works.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Default ROKU -- if you have one, please explain how it works.

I'm afraid my senior citizen-hood is showing because of my techie ignorance.

On election night, we were at a friend's home and he used Roku to switch among television stations. t looked cool, but we were too involved in the returns to ask how it worked, whether you had to subscribe to the various services, whether it needs to have a computer attached, whether it delivered all the local channels as well as things like CNN and Fox News, etc.

I am not even clear on how it works compared to just using cable.

We have a Chromecast thingie, but it just projects things from the computer like you tube videos and Amazon programs to the television.

If you have Roku and understand it, can you please help??

Thank you for your wisdom.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Roku plugs into the back of your tv. You have to have internet, preferably high speed internet, in order for it to work. You can set it up to use the wireless internet in your home, or you can use an ethernet for wired access to your internet. If you use computers in your home, you should be able to set up Roku to use the same internet that your computers use.

If your friend was able to use Roku to switch among all those news channels, then I'm thinking he/she must subscribe to Sling Blue, which costs about $25/month. Sling gives you access to about 30 different tv channels. Some downsides are that commercials are included and only one tv in the house can access Sling at a time.

If you have Amazon Prime, Roku lets you watch their free movies on your tv. The most popular subscription for Roku is Netflix, which costs about $10/month and gives you access to a *lot* of movies and older tv series (such as Lost). No commercials in Netflix (a real bonus when you are watching a tv series!), and you can have two different tvs watching two different Netflix shows at a time. Acorn is another good subscription service. $5/month and you get access to all kinds of BBC movies and older tv shows without commercials. (When I say older, I mean that you usually do not get access to the current season. The subscription channels do not have every tv series, but they have a lot of different ones at any given time and switch them out regularly.)

I can't say I really understand Roku; the above is most of what I have learned in the past year or so of using it. Basically, I think in order to make Roku useful, you need to add one or more subscriptions. We have been thinking of getting rid of cable, but Sling does not completely replace it, especially for sports.

Edit: For the local channels, I think you need to access those either through cable or a tv antenna that catches them. Most people live where an antenna will pick up a lot of local channels; you don't necessarily need able for that.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-26-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:54 PM

Think of the Roku like a tiny cable box that comes in either hockey puck shaped or flash drive shape. With the hockey puck you use an HDMI cord and plug it into the side/back of tv. The flash drive type plugs directly into the tv. I use my wireless router that's for my computer to communicate with the Roku to make it work. Roku has lots of free channels and "pay for" channels. You use your computer to set up a name and password for the Roku and then you see the beginning screen From there you pick and choose what you want to see when you turn it on. I use it to watch Netflix in the bedroom and had to give it my email address and password that I had previously set up for the Smart tv in the den. I am 60+ and found it very easy to set up.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Prism, We have Sling and have the $20 plan. For an extra $5 we get sports channels--several ESPN channels and the SEC channels (which is what we want, since UK is in the SEC). We use Chromecast and cast it from my tablet to the computer and it works great. We had DirecTV and decided we were paying too much since we only watched about 6 channels that weren't our regular broadcast channels. We're getting the channels we like to watch for $25 instead of $120.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:48 PM

No on has yet mentioned that you buy the Roku. I use it without paying for Netflix or anything else. I have no cable,
but use one of those $40.00 "antennas".
Old 11-27-2016, 01:38 AM

I use it(usb version) for the second tv in the sewing room. Have Amazon Prime ($99 a year abt 8.25 a month versus $10.99 on a monthly subscription). Can easily be moved from one tv to another if you wish. They just have a new one out and HSN seems to have the best price. Works for me and saves me money. So far I keep it loaded from my computer and keep enough content to keep me content for under ten a month. I have an over the air antenna and internet with a router/wifi in living room. I'm a documentary addict and get lots of content in addition to movies. Because I wifi it to the back room no cables of any sort to deal with. Pretty simple, and I'm glad I tried this; pretty cost effective for this senior citizen.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:15 AM

I have a Roku. I use it mainly to watch quilting tutorials while I am following along on my sewing machine.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 PM

Thank you for bringing up this Roku topic. I have a Roku but do not use it like I should. Am a widow and not all crazy about the tv remote stuff. Spouse could figure things out but now just me--but must learn to cancel Dish in a couple months. Only have the basic Dish but watch 4 channels, like the Hallmark movies and HGTV.
Guess I need a kid to show me how it all works and make cheat sheets until it settles in my mind.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:01 AM

OMG! Just reading all the above cyber stuff gave me the willies?....I have Comcast..granted most of the stuff on it is junk...like, I don't think I'll ever be interested in the Japanese news- no offense intended-or watch movies made before I was born, but it does let me just click on what I do want to watch either now or later on demand..on any of the tvs in the house..and it has my wi-fi and home phone too. So one bill instead of several each month....I know that's probably dark age thinking, but that's me.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:32 AM

Thank you for an excellent answer to a topic that has been bugging me for ages. I want to get rid of Direct because of expense and horrid customer service, but do not understand the new technology. When you say "antenna" I'm assuming you are not speaking of the thing my dad had to get on the roof to move, right? LOL Those were the days! Our internet service is not the greatest in this rural area, so I'm concerned we may not be able to use these devices. How can you test this?