Rolled hem

Old 04-28-2015, 06:18 AM

Default Rolled hem

I have an attachment for my old Viking. Rolled hem 2 mm. Dd is in a bridal party....I have to hem gown..have never done a rolled hem...watched YouTube. Looked easy enough.....experimented on scrap of fabric...not same as gown...will not roil right......the gown is a flimsy, see thru almost type fab, lined with a slippery lining......anyone here know the secret? I also have a newer BL which I can get a rolled hem attachment for...would that be better or do I just have the wrong size foot? Of course, I could do this by hand...or serger...if I knew how to work that darn thing! Any suggestions other than have a professional seamstress do this........thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I would get a scrap of similar fabric and try the different options. If you can use the serger, that is probably the best way. If you can't use a serger, I would try a sample of doing it by hand with matching thread.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:28 PM

My Mom was a professional seamstress, and she used to used something that was firm, about the size of bias tape that was sewed on and then just laid flat to form a hem without having to hand sew it in. And of course, I can't remember what it's called....sorry....
Old 04-28-2015, 05:07 PM

Check out this link. http://www.sewcountrychick.com/make-...sheer-fabrics/

I've not done this, but I helped with alterations at a Cinderella's Closet, and the leader of our team showed us this method.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:50 AM

to start your rolled hem you need to cut the edge fo the fabric at a slight angle so that you can feed it through the foot then sew slowly and evenly. Another alternative I used to do when making wedding dresses, was to use a very narrow ziz zag stitch and just sew the edge of the fabric the zig zag causes the material to roll. Otherwise you can also use a narrow zig zag and encase lightweight fishing line, this gives a curled rolled hem and also adds a little weight to sheer fabrics. Some sergers also have a rolled hem foot which I think may be easier but I've never used it,
Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 AM

When I use my rolled hem foot I find it helps to sort of lift up the edge of the fabric as it feets into the foot. I sort of curl it as I feed it;
Old 04-29-2015, 04:45 AM

try putting water soluable stabilizer under it and then when its finished you can pull most away and spritz the fabric with a little water to finish it. You might want to consider checking the store for some scrap or 1/8th yd of similar fabric so that you are sure of how it will look. Look for videos doing rolled hem on a serger, its basically the same but mostly it'll give you techniques to help it turn out better.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 AM

quilt1950 - Thank you for sharing this site. I've had the same problems Geri B has had with my Pfaff. All I was told was to keep working with the RHF, I've been doing that for the last 2 years. I can do this. Thank you again.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:32 AM

Rolled hem on a BL is dead easy for flimsy material. It looks even better if you get the woolly looking nylon thread which gives a nice edge. You could also use a glittery thread which looks nice. If you are not well practiced with the rolled hem on your sewing machine it can look a bit tatty if your sewing is not even. If the material is really fine, I use strips of solvy under the hem as I sew. That stops the lettuce leaf effect if the material has a tendency to stretch. You should also cut some of the material off as you are sewing or the rolled part has the potential to pull off if you don't.All the best with it.

Last edited by jitkaau; 04-30-2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
Check out this link. http://www.sewcountrychick.com/make-...sheer-fabrics/

I've not done this, but I helped with alterations at a Cinderella's Closet, and the leader of our team showed us this method.
That's brilliant and looks so easy. Thanks for sharing.