Safety first

Old 12-23-2012, 06:46 AM

Default Safety first

I just read an article on-line about glass baking dishes shattering and even causing injuries. This includes brand name glass dishes too. It seems the manufacturers changed the formula for the glass baking dishes back in the 1980's. It made them more likely to break even while just sitting in the oven, at the table or on the counter. No hard bumps or knocks are needed to cause the breakage. The manufacturers have included directions for using these dishes safely but even following the directions the dishes can still shatter. Vintage glass baking dishes don't have these same problems. So be safe while cooking with them. I don't think I'll be using any glass baking dishes unless I'm certain they are older than 40 or so years.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 AM

It's good to be aware of this. A few year back I was making a layered jello dessert, and I was mixing one of the jello colors in a glass bowl. I poured in the boiling water, and the bowl just cracked and broke, sitting right there on the counter. You can imagine the mess, boiling jello water pouring out in all directions and a bunch of broken glass...

It was a bowl I had used for that purpose before, and I was just so shocked that it broke. Made me a lot more leery of using glass for such things ever since...
Old 12-23-2012, 07:13 AM

Don't you wish they hadn't changed their formulae? Plastic will leak chemicals after a time and aren't safe. Aluminum discolors in the dishwasher. Not every size is available in stainless steel and you don't want to be using your china for thing like mixing jello. So heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the antique store we go when we need a new bowl or casserole dish or baking dish.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I am always careful to not add cold water to my Corningware when it is in the oven and not to put it on a wet spot when it comes out of the oven. I think it is the extreme temperature changes that make them more likely to break.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM

I have never had a problem with my newer glass baking dishes, but have in the past had 2 of the older ones shatter. One was full of lasagna and shattered in the oven....what a horrible mess that was to clean up! The other one got dropped onto a carpeted floor and shattered. No one got hurt either time thankfully.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am always careful to not add cold water to my Corningware when it is in the oven and not to put it on a wet spot when it comes out of the oven. I think it is the extreme temperature changes that make them more likely to break.
I had a corningware baking dish crumble when I took it out of the oven and placed it on the stove. I was startled when it happened. Since then all the glassware that comes out of the oven now gets placed on hotpads.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 AM

I had a corning ware baking dish crumble too, I took the stuff out of it, put it in the sink to cool off, didn't add water to it either, and it shattered into a bunch of chunky pieces.

All my glass dishes are really old now, I look for them in the thrift stores, they are heavier than the ones they make today but they have nice handles on them so you can grasp them easily and I use Spic and Span to get the really tough baked on gunk off of them.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Well, I know the Pyrex mixing bowls that I got as a shower gift over 36 years ago are safe....now need to see which of my Corningware are the old ones...
I'm a bit worried, I was making 2 pans of lasagna for Christmas Eve dinner....
Old 12-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

All I have are old glass cookware pieces and mixing bowls.