Save a bunch of money!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Wow, that was an easy fix. Good tip.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Wow, what a great tip. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Google Goddess

great tip, thanks for sharing with us
Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Re: your window a/c unit. We have had several window units over the years. One thing I do know is that you should, occasionally, take a hose to the part that is outside and truly blow water right through it. I know...sounds strange but that is what one service guy told us. Generally, it is just as economical to replace the unit than have a service call. We have something strange going on with our big unit downstairs....it will beep 3 times and then just stop. Yesterday, it had stopped then later just came back on...but I could not control it with the remote, or even by the control pad on the a/c itself. Last night, it beeped 3 times and turned off. We finally opened the windows...thank goodness it was cooling off finally. This morning, I tried everything...unplugged, hit the reset button, replaced batteries in the remote..you name it. I was about set to go out and just buy a new one (this one is in its 3rd season) when my DH came home...he messed around with it for awhile and had no luck. In frustration, he hit the control panel and...it came back on! The next one I get will not have all these computerized controls...just a good ol' knob. We would love to have central air, however, our house has no duct work and we just don't want the expense of installing it.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 PM

A window mount unit can be fixed...You need to take out of window...thake the cover off.Then spray it down wit some household cleaner...[lysol] Then spray and wash all of the inside dirt away....be particular about washing around the cooling coilsand the inside thermostat sensor...Get it good and clean...dry off and replace it in the window...
We do this every spring, to keep ours in working order...
p38flygirl
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 AM

Now that's info we can all use!!! thanks! We have a floor model A/C that we bought from Home Depot. It has a reservoir for water that the A/C pulls out of the air. the A/C stopped working the other day and we couldn't figure out what was wrong. It gave us a code but we couldn't find the manual on it. Finally, DH started guessing. The water reservoir was empty. BUT we found there were two other places in the back that we had to drain water out of!!!! We've run this thing for 5 yrs and NEVER had to drain it thru those spickets before!!!!!! Now it's working wonderfully!