Saving money

Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 AM

We had a plan with Cable TV that locked in price for 2 yrs. with no penalties if you quit them. Now to get the least increase in price you have to guarantee them 2 yrs. or pay a stiff penalty for discontinuing service. TV has gotten so raunchy these days I wonder how much more we could do if we just didn't have it! It is tempting!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM

We don't have DirectTV but we run into the same thing with our cable company. I always feel like I can't get straight answers about what is included in what plan and walk away feeling like I've been subjected to some shell game.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Our main tv borke. Best thing that ever happened. Decreased the tv package for the kids in the basement- I want to get rid of it too.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM

I complained about the extra $10 month fee for HD on Direct TV and they gave me a year for free. Dish gives it free for the entire year so I'm working on that aspect. I won't switch, love Direct BUT saving money in this economy is important.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 PM

My DH watches TV but I haven't had mine on for about three months, and don't miss it. I do spend lots of time on this board looking at quilts, and "visiting" with all the nice people here. Nothing much to watch on TV in my opinion. I'd rather quilt while listening to nice music. ;)
Old 07-30-2011, 02:44 PM

We had many of those services over time and finally pitched them all. We decided it wasn't worth the money- If we want to watch something we pop in a DVD. Too much time was spent looking for good programs on alot fewer channels then we needed. Dropping those services was well worth the savings. Oh ya and for those of you who have been told they need their dish back off your rooftop- tell them they're welcome to have it as long as they get it themselves and not damage the roof. (They stop nagging you really quick)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:09 PM

Anytime they offer you a promotional deal for 6 months or so, they're counting on you forgetting to chg. it at the end of that period. I got sucked into that.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Anytime they offer you a promotional deal for 6 months or so, they're counting on you forgetting to chg. it at the end of that period. I got sucked into that.
Same thing goes for our local Fish Wrapper...I mean news paper. Just got their annual promotion this week. I subscribe to the weekend pkg (Friday thru Sunday) mainly because I want to Sunday paper for the coupons. Their latest offer is for 7 days a week for the price of the weekend package for 11 months!! Thanks, but no thanks!

I wanted to tell him that if they can afford to give me (and others) 4 free papers a week for 11 months, they could afford to publish something worth reading....Newspapers are only good for wrapping dead fish and lining bird cages anymore. :thumbup:
Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 PM

We should try that with u-verse. We really need to cut back and dh's been complaining about how much our package is.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Seriously every single time I hear a great new offer from competion I call our cable company and say I get it for so much cheaper if I go with so and so. And they lower my bill. I have gone from 180 mo to 120 mo. I am ready to call them again as they are offering a bundle pkg for 90 mo. Since I already have the bundle I should get the bundle pkg.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!