Scam

Old 05-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Default Scam

I keep getting calls from "out of the area" telling me that there is a problem with my PC. The person (definitely Asian)says he is calling from Microsoft Windows. Has anyone else gotten these type of calls recently?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I keep getting calls from "out of the area" telling me that there is a problem with my PC. The person (definitely Asian)says he is calling from Microsoft Windows. Has anyone else gotten these type of calls recently?
I get a lot of calls from all over, or unknown number. Since I have caller id, I do not pick up and they never seem to think it is important enough to leave a voice mail. So glad I have caller id...but if I didn't, I'd still not answer and wait to see if they leave a voice mail. Too many junk calls or scams these days. And I even signed up for the Do Not Call list.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:52 AM

I too have been receiving these calls daily. Yesterday, I told the caller to hold on a minute, waited a bit, and came back to the phone and said, "Thanks for waiting, just wanted to turn on my recorder. What were you saying?" The caller hung up immediately. Let's see if he starts calling again after the Memorial Day holiday. My next action will be to loudly blow a whistle into the phone.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:23 PM

I get that call every so often. I finally answered and just told them I do not have a computer. Have not heard from them since
Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 PM

They constantly call here in the UK too. They want access to your computer to 'fix' a problem, but will actually install some malware, and will then charge you to 'fix' it. If you don't pay, you won't be able to use your computer! Microsoft, Apple etc NEVER telephone you to 'fix' your computer. This is a scam to get you to hand over your hard earned money to criminals.
I like @Pudge's response to them. Best to hang up, don't engage with them, or, to buy a call blocker. Lots of elderly people in the UK have been plagued by these calls, and some of them have had lots of money stolen. Some charities for elder care have been helping with this. But, also there has been some nuisance calls from 'companies' charging huge amounts for these call blockers. We now know to be aware of these too!
I think so long as there is plenty of information out there about these spam calls, and not to be frightened of informing the police if you have been a victim, and to pass on warnings to others, we will be safer.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

It is a scam. I keep getting calls from the IRS, telling me I will be arrest within three hours of the call for non compliance blah, blah blah. I'm still here.
peace
Old 05-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

I am running XP and have an unlisted number. Never gotten a call yet.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:18 PM

We usually ask them where our computer is cause it was stolen. Then we say that the police need to know where it is so they can go pick it up. Usually they hang up rather quickly after that.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I may have but don't answer them. did once and i won some trip somewhere.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

I also have caller ID, if I don't know the name or number I don't answer. If they leave a message, very seldom, I delete the message.
I have not had anyone from Microsoft call me.