Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Scam/Virus Alert - Uniform Traffic Ticket >

Scam/Virus Alert - Uniform Traffic Ticket

Scam/Virus Alert - Uniform Traffic Ticket

Old 10-13-2011, 05:57 AM

I spotted this in my spam folder. If you get this, please be aware that is a SPAM & malicious virus.

from the Wall Street Journal:

ALBANY, N.Y. — State police in New York are warning about a virus-laden email that appears to be a notice of a speeding ticket.

They say the bogus email is likely to have "Uniform Traffic Ticket" in the subject line and an attached zip file described as a ticket from the Department of Motor Vehicles that can be filled out and mailed to a local court.

Opening that attachment can infect the user's computer. State police Sgt. Kern Svoboda says reports of the email have been coming in from across the country, starting overnight Wednesday. He says investigators with the Computer Crime Unit haven't yet identified the type of infection carried by the email.

The email and its attachment shouldn't be opened. If they are, update and run anti-virus software.

I knew it was "junk" because I've never been to New York..
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

this has been verified in Snopes here http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/trafficticket.asp
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 AM
Banned

I work for a tax and investment firm and we get calls all the time from people wanting to know if things like this are a fake or virus. I wish more people realized that the goverment, IRS, police, dept of revenue, etc. do not send email notices. You would receive a written notice via mail. Just thought I'd share as there is a new one started this week telling people their IRS payment was refused. Ever wonder how they would have gotten your email?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 AM

Scammers really know human behavior, don't they? Who hasn't broken a traffic law at one point or another?! The "panic" response is exactly what they're playing on; i.e., hoping the scare will make someone act quickly instead of thinking about it first. Scumbags!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 AM

I have gotten several of these in the last 2 weeks...according to snopes it is going to most yahoo e-mails and I think they said it started back in July.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM

I keep getting one from Welsfargo to up date my loan information.
I just got so upset with a bank drive through teller wanted me to tell him my SS# and address over the intercom said could not find my account (have had it since 86) when I got agervated enough and said give it back to me and I will go inside to cash it then he found it
Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM

I got one of those emails but didn't open the attachment. I opened the email and knew I wasn't in NY on the date given. Glad to know it's been verified with Snopes.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Yep got the email yesterday :roll: Kind of really scared me because h was working in RI a couple weeks ago and said something about a toll booth he didnt have to stop at. lol...