Scrap nursery

Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 AM

We once were at a Costco and they were selling some type of device that you installed near your door and it was supposed to emit some kind of sound or wave and would keep mice out. My husband looked at it and simply said it probably just sounded like "Meeow..Meeow"
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Yeap, Autumn tis the season. Woke up a couple of days ago to the sound of a varmint busily gnawing on something, probably part of a wall. I am 66 years old and have been deathly scared of rodents all my life. Give me a good old snake or bug to deal with and I'm fine, substitute a small harmless mouse and its hysteria time. Purchased some poison, no half measures for me. I don't really want to kill them I just very much want them to go away.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:43 AM

This thread reminded me of a mouse problem my sister had in Tennessee. She had just moved into a small house and kept finding mice running across her kitchen floor. I told her to get a cat, but she decided to buy those supper sticky mouse traps. The first morning, when I went by to share a cup of coffee, she found a mouse squeaking and trying to get loose from the sticky stuff. She waited until the mouse wore itself out, then took it outside saying ewwe! Ewwe! As she ran to the door. When she opened the door to drop it outside, the wind caught it, and it flew over to the neighbors house and stuck itself to the high side of the house! My sister got to meet her new neighbor by asking him for a ladder to get the mouse trap back. All I could do was stand on her porch and laugh!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

yikes i dont like them and sure dont want them inside!!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:02 PM

We live in the woods. We have tried the "mouse sound wave thingy" that was supposed to keep them out of the garage. It did make noise but only the humans noticed it---didn't work for mice in the garage.
I have also heard of the sunflower bucket.....many people (now don't kill me for this comment) will fill the bucket half full of water and then float a few sunflower seeds on top. It will get rid of mice and chipmunks---obviously they drown.
We have been using PEPPERMINT OIL. I bought some at the local Health Food Store and was told that many people use it to keep mice away. For our 3 car garage, I need to put one cottonball (with a few peppermint drops on it) in each corner of the garage---less for smaller garages. Mice do not like the smell of peppermint. Can't really tell if it works because I always forget to refresh the peppermint oil. Need to put more drops on the cottonball every week and I never remember. It sure is a cheap way to get rid of them rather than the traps.
We were just told by the pest control man that when you use Decon that the mice take it back to their nest and then die there---eeew!!! and then stink. This is a bad idea IF you have them in your house.
As far as squirrels---we have a "squirrel relocation program" at my house. We use live traps but then have to take them AT LEAST 10 miles away so that they don't return. (brother-in-law worked for DNR). I take them across the river---figure if they can make it back to my woods by traveling on the bridge or swimming the river,,,then they deserve to be here.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I'm sitting here and lmbo. My sister got into one of those almost dropped it with a squeaking mouse also. She caught it. Her finger stuck right up against the backside of the mouse. L-ing MBO!
Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
This thread reminded me of a mouse problem my sister had in Tennessee. She had just moved into a small house and kept finding mice running across her kitchen floor. I told her to get a cat, but she decided to buy those supper sticky mouse traps. The first morning, when I went by to share a cup of coffee, she found a mouse squeaking and trying to get loose from the sticky stuff. She waited until the mouse wore itself out, then took it outside saying ewwe! Ewwe! As she ran to the door. When she opened the door to drop it outside, the wind caught it, and it flew over to the neighbors house and stuck itself to the high side of the house! My sister got to meet her new neighbor by asking him for a ladder to get the mouse trap back. All I could do was stand on her porch and laugh!
Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 PM

My theory is we are supposed to kill the mice. There are not enough animals, and many times no animals, to thin the herd and if we don't natural selection them, it will imbalance nature. We will have too many at the rate they multiply. My mother always said for every one mouse you see, there are at least 100 hiding in your walls. When she would say this my dad would contradict her and tell her that is the number if you have a cat. 200 Plus without. Now that freaks me.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

You should have taken them to the neighbor hehehe
Old 09-25-2014, 04:53 PM

I understand! We had an infestation last year. Fabric was the culprit. The exterminator was called after the trap was sprung over 10 times in an hour! We live in the country, and now think we have all the holes plugged. There's a certain smell now..I think their urine seeped into the cement floor...and I'm trying a vinegar solution to get rid of that. Mice are cute un storybooks. Not so much where things are stored!
Old 09-25-2014, 05:25 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Ewwww Mice .. you did the right thing !!