Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Scraps For Pet Bed Stuffing-What Size >

Scraps For Pet Bed Stuffing-What Size

Scraps For Pet Bed Stuffing-What Size

Old 11-09-2015, 12:28 PM

Question Scraps For Pet Bed Stuffing-What Size

I know I can use fabric scraps for pet bed stuffing (I saw the video too). Since I have 6 toy dogs, including one 13 years old and one 5 year old who is totally blind from detached retinas and Glaucoma, I wash pet beds a lot. My no-sew fleece beds I made a few years ago have lost most of their loft and clump terribly when laundered.

I have some pretty much unused king flannel pillow cases and a ton of my DH well worn clothes that no longer fit him that were on their way to the trash can. I want to use the clothes for the pet bed stuffing.

My question is if it would be better for the pieces to be cut big or small strips and if so, HOW small. I don't want them to get tangled and knotted when washed. One of my local thrift stores sells a huge trash bag of freshly laundered clothing that is too worn to be sold. I think that once my stuff is used up, it would be a very cheap way to get stuffing perhaps some cool buttons too.

Thanks in advance,
Louise
Old 11-09-2015, 01:58 PM

I don't use large scraps in my pet beds. The larger scraps tend to bunch up. When I have scraps I cut through them randomly with my rotary cutter. For the larger beds you might consider sewing down the middle of the completed bed so the scraps don't bunch to one side when laundered.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:13 PM

I agree with Nammie. For stuffing I use the selvages and similarly sized strips. I've never tried larger pieces, but I imagine Nammie's right about the bunching. By having smaller bits it will be easier to re-shape when it comes out of the dryer. I also overstuff the stuffed animals & floor pillows I make as they quickly start to flatten out after first wash. I've never made a pet bed, but I assume it's similar to a floor pillow & know the shelter by me asks for no wider than 1" strips.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I prefer doing small strips. I usually cut anything big into 1" strips. Have you thought of making "pillowcase" covers for the beds that you can take off to wash with snaps or Velcro? Then all you would have to do is wash the "pillowcase". Just an idea. Make the "pillowcase" out of fleece.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:32 PM

Cut small pieces and when the case is stuffed and the end sewed, put in a few ties with strong thread to keep the filling from clumping. Like tufting that is done on pillows. Use a long upholstery needle to run the thread through the pillow.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:44 PM

It takes forever for a stuffed with scraps pillow to dry, please keep that in mind. They can get really musty because the middle stays damp. Pet shelters throw them away after the dogs have used them, take way too long for them to dry properly.

I'd suggest more fleece, maybe 4 layers and quilt them down in a simple squares or crosses pattern. Wash well, dry like the wind.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:59 PM

I made one of these for my dogs but they didn't like it. Now I just toss the selvages and trimmings.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 AM

How do you get pet hair out of fleece? I have a very long-haired cat and it seems to really stick tight to that fleece.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:32 AM

I'm with the others, I was happily saving scraps, put into pillowcase, sewed shut. And the dogs did like them, but washing and drying was a nightmare. Perhaps stuffing with poly batting scraps?? But I don't use poly?? What to do? I ended up cutting into 2.5" squares and tossed the rest.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 AM

I use fleece for my cat's blanket, yes the hairs stick permanently. I just cut the fleece the size I need for the inside of his bed and sew it to and old pillowcase so that it is reversible. Once the fleece side is all hairy I turn it inside out and use the other side of the fleece. When that side is all hairy I just toss it. I always stock up big time when JoAnn's has fleece on sale, which reminds me it's on sale right now.