Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
In search of (food related) >

In search of (food related)

In search of (food related)

Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

I'm having the kids (2 Grown adults) over to watch the super bowl as they don't have cable TV. Does anyone have great snacking ideas? I have:
2 kids that are vegetarian(but eat chicken), a DH who is on a low carb diet, and me who is watching my calories? HELP!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:32 PM

veggie plate with ranch dipping sauce.
honey glazed chicken wings.
fruit salad.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM

Granny Smith apple slices and or any other fruit. Mix a stick of cream cheese with carmel ice cream topping. To die for.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM

You can make vegetarian chili with that morningstar crumbles stuff; I've done it & the texture is the same. They have a recipe for that on their website - http://www.morningstarfarms.com/
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Bruchetta for those who don't care for meat but can eat carbs. Veggies and fruit are no brainers. Shrimp? (frozen and defrosted is not too costly and most only dip the cocktail sauce so that isnt too high cal?).. um.. sliced cucumbers with a dollop of cream cheese (not much) and ontop of this a tinier dollop of apricot jam. Low cal, very delicious. Veggans again: Take little new pototoes (small fresh ones). Cut in half. Cut bottom off each one so they will sit flat on a cookie sheet. With a melon baller or a small spoon scoop out a small bowl from the center of potatoe. Place all the potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with oil. Make sure each is lightly coated. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through (I usually sneak one off the tray and test it). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on tray or large plate. In seperate bowl take sour cream and add diced green onions to taste, stir together. Spoon half a tsp +/- in each tater. Serve. My friend is a caterer and this is one of the most snatched up munchie. Easy, simple and everyone likes a potato. Melons are pretty expensive winter time so definetely sliced apples, oranges and pears. Lower cal chicken: Boneless skinless breasts. Brush lightly with oil, salt pepper. Broil til done. Cube in bite sized pieces, tooth pics place in bowl/plate. Make your own honey mustard dip. Mustard? low cal. Honey doesnt require much and again people dont coat them like crazy in it so the calories are kept down. Usually for restaurant style honey mustard you have mayo (low cal is fine), mustard reg and dijon, lemon juice and about 3 tbsp of honey. Must make it the night before for the flavors to work. If you want you can just buy it, the generic at the store tastes better than the fancy one!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 PM

Check out www.allrecipes.com
They have great recipes.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 PM

I have a recipe for vegetarian chili that's terrific if you want it. DH always gets compliments when he takes it to work.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Banned

Thanks for all your input. Not sure what foods we will make. Love the new potato idea. I'll have to see what the kids want. Will let you know what we do have on Monday.
Any other ideas still appreciated.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:48 AM

Potato soup mostly will be on the menu here. Suppose to be cold, no real bad weather, Thank goodness