selling fabrics

Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

***I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place but my question isn't just for this board***

When cleaning the garage today I found a lot of fabric I didn't even remember I had - some of it can be used for quilting most of it is lycra or spandex.

I had to wash it - its been in a tote bin in the garage for a while.

Now the problem is:

1. Some of the fabric I don't know what it is - like I have about 2 yards of this really nice quality black fabric - reminds me of suit I had (when I worked in an office)...I'm sure its polyester but aside from that have no idea - so how do I describe it other than whats above; and

2. a couple of the pieces I can't tell where the selvage lines are - not sure if I cut it wrong at some point or I'm tired or what - is it ok to just measure the entire piece 27 inches wide single not double folded - or something like that?

I have 2 full sized washer loads - haven't measured everything yet but its not stuff I can use and I'd like to do it semi-right when listing it either here or on ebay! So if you have suggestions - I'm all eyes!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 PM

post it
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

first if you are thinking of selling here, you need to read ALL of the rules...one of the rules is that you are not allowed to FISH for interest in your items prior to listing them...another is that the items have to be for quilting, so suiting fabric might be out.
If there is no selvage then you need to tear it find the grain and measure that way...you might have done borders with it and cut it down the length, so the width is not normal now!

to test for poly you can do the burn test...poly will ball up and make a sticky mess, cotton burns straight across and makes ashes...
where ever you list it, be sure to note that it is washed, if people are sensitive to smells they won't buy it!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
first if you are thinking of selling here, you need to read ALL of the rules...one of the rules is that you are not allowed to FISH for interest in your items prior to listing them...another is that the items have to be for quilting, so suiting fabric might be out.
If there is no selvage then you need to tear it find the grain and measure that way...you might have done borders with it and cut it down the length, so the width is not normal now!

to test for poly you can do the burn test...poly will ball up and make a sticky mess, cotton burns straight across and makes ashes...
where ever you list it, be sure to note that it is washed, if people are sensitive to smells they won't buy it!
Jacquie (and moderator if your watching):

I am most certianly NOT fishing here - I figured I would ask because everyone here is so knowledgeable in fabrics and I'm really not.

I haven't decided if I'm selling here for two reasons 1) seems way to restrictive and a lot of work when I'm already set up on ebay; and 2) while I like buying - I'd rather give it to someone on here who I've become friends with.

I washed it in borax and water - no laundry soap - my husband has sensitive skin and I usually don't like washing anything because you don't know how your buyer will react but this has been in the garage and really required it.

I'll try the burn test in the a.m. - too tired tonight and don't want to burn something I shouldn't.

The material that reminds me of a suit is really nice and I remember buying it and paying a lot for it - so its not cheap - wish I could figure out a way - I wonder if I took it to hancock or something if they could tell me at least what material it is.

then again - maybe I'll just give it all way and not worry about it.

Thanks for answering my questions - I'll take any other hints you have - and see aside from the unknown suiting material - no pictures or descriptions so I'm not fishing for sales - only for information :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

If I could feel the black fabric I might could tell you...darn it, no FEEL a vision on the puter...
It might be a gaberdine, or even a suit wool... I would take it to Hancocks..hopefully they have an older seamstress still working there who might know good suit fabrics....

Didn't mean to imply anything, just giving information...with ebays new rules coming in April, selling on there will be even more costly soon!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

I know - which is why I'm listing awya on ebay now! Oh well.

As for the fabric - its not suit wool - too thin and soft - I think I'll run by Hancock and see if they know - its really nice and I just took it out of the dryer and it washed really well - but it is a quilty that is above my sewing level!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Could it be gabardine? When my Mom was still with us she made me an outfit including a jacket with it.