Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: serger question

Does anyone have a brother 1034d serger and if so when you want to change thread color do you tie on or do you completely re-thread it.

I don't have a Brother; but I have an "antique" Babylock (about 20 yrs old). I find it is much easier to tie on rather than rethread each time.

Blog Entries
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by traumaRN
    I don't have a Brother; but I have an "antique" Babylock (about 20 yrs old). I find it is much easier to tie on rather than rethread each time.

I think this is true for any kind of serger- I have a Janome and that's how my manual says to do it.

Ditto on the tying. Saves time and keeps me calmer!!!

doesn't really matter what brand serger you have- it is always easier/faster/less aggravating to tie on- and pull through- it is a major pain in the....
    to rethread constantly-
    my mom hasn't had to rethread hers in so many years she was saying the other day- if she ever had to --- she wouldn't have any idea how to :)

I have one and I just rethread since usually when I
    need a different color I change all of them to the
    same color. I have never tied on and the next time
    I need to change colors I will give this a try.

I had a Brother 1034d and you will find it is much much better to tie on your new thread rather than re-thread. I always loosened up the tension dials to let the new thread pull through easier. As I recall it was a real pain to get that upper looper threaded. I had to read manual and watch the dvd each time I changed thread. Because of that I finally sold that machine and bought a singer serger. But really found out that they are all the same, just a pain to thread.

Blog Entries
    I also tie. I've learned on my machine that if you raise the presser foot, the tensions disengage so that you can easily pull the threads through and re-engage once the foot is down (it's the same for some sewing machines too). I wouldn't mess with the tensions if your machine is sewing nicely... I did that to one of my sergers and could never get the tensions back to the way they were...