Sewing a button......

Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 AM

Default Sewing a button......

Just came across this when I was making some crafty things that needed buttons sewed on...on my "old" Viking I merely pushed the little button on the side that was printed BUTTON, lowered feed dogs and it sews buttons.....I was doing this on my BL ellure plus---no such easy way...went to manual...read had to put on buttonhole attachment, yadah, yadah....so went to Viking to do the job! Later emailed company, recd a lengthy return stating look in manual under buttonhole, blah, blah.........really?

I have a Project class I'm going to on Tuesday, so I will have machine and I'm going to ask

The stranger part of this is I was watching an old episode of love of quilting (2000 series) and someone sewed on a button with a BL using an attachment M...looked that up online. 8.99, but not sure it will work on this ellure plus.

How do you do buttons by machine? Curious...
Old 12-06-2015, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

here is some good information... they recommend the special foot too http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resourc...sewing-machine
there is lots more info... i Googled "how to sew a button on by machine"
i've always been too nervous to do it because i didn't want to damage the machine by hitting the button with the needle
Old 12-06-2015, 07:09 AM

Ok....I stand completely humbled...I read the manual ...what a concept....anyway, after buttonhole instructions there was button instructions and yes attachment M is what I use, so I have regained my confidence in this machine.

When I do buttons by machine, I always hand turn the wheel for both holes before I step on the gas..and needle usually set at 3... Zig-zag whatever makes the swing....here's a bit of info I learned along the way....somewhere...all.buttonholes are the same distance between holes......I guess an industry standard.......

Anyway, thanks for reading my answer do my own question
Old 12-06-2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here is some good information... they recommend the special foot too http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resourc...sewing-machine
there is lots more info... i Googled "how to sew a button on by machine"
i've always been too nervous to do it because i didn't want to damage the machine by hitting the button with the needle
I was nervous too until I finally tried it. If you test the size of the stitch you have chosen by manually turning the wheel through one whole stitch and adjusting if needed, you should have not problem.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

I use to stitch flat buttons using a zig zag stitch with length being zero. Have to be very careful because you don't want the needle to break.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:33 AM

I used to do it quite often but I don't use a lot of buttons now days. As long as you have your machine set up the proper way & use your hand wheel the first few stitches to make sure it is lined up with the button holes,then you should have no problems. I never had a problem with it
Old 12-07-2015, 11:58 AM

I use my Viking D1 to sew on buttons with the holes. I just adjust my zigzag to fit the distance of the holes and hit "start". Then I pull the sewn button away from the needle so I have long tie ends, thread them into a needle so I can take the ties to the backside and tie into a knot before trimming the ends.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:50 PM

I used my old 401A to sew buttons on all the time and never a problem.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I used my old 401A to sew buttons on all the time and never a problem.
My old Singer 401A is the best and easiest machine to use for sewing on buttons.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:27 AM

My PFaff (it's fairly old..a Tiptronic) has a special stitch. Hit the button and off it goes. It goes through one hole in the button three times and then it goes over to the other hole. I am able to manually use the wheel to make sure it won't hit the button...if it does, I just adjust the stitch length. Haven't hand sewed a button on for a loooonnnng time. Once you try it, you'll be okay with it.