Sewing over Zippers

Old 03-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Default Sewing over Zippers

I have been trying to make small purses (very simple ones) from some videos on Youtube and I understand the instructions but in the videos they show sewing over the zipper ends like it is nothing. When I do that (very slowly) my machine either makes a weird clunking sound and / or the needle falls out. This is frustrating me because I am enjoying making them. I have done a few but I don't think it was good for my machine. Yet, in the videos they only say don't run over the metal part of the zipper which I would never do. The zippers are all nylon.

Anyone have this problem? I was hoping to advance at some point to trying a laptop cover or even a bag but the thickness of straps would I am sure be a problem. I was even wondering if I need to get a machine that can handle heavy duty things like this.

Thank you!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 AM

I was just doing this the other day and had no issues. I have a Husqvarna Viking - computerized machine. If your needle is falling out, sounds like it may be in backwards or not seated all the way. The clunking sound....perhaps make your stitch length longer??? What type of machine do you have?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I never sew over the teeth, even if they are plastic. certainly not metal ones. I tend to skip over them and if necessary later i hand stitch over them to secure that area better.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

http://www.craftpassion.com/2011/06/...-zipper.html/2 Found this and adding to my favorites.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 AM

I would not sew over the zipper teeth. It can't be good for the machine. Lift the presser foot when you get to the teeth & skip over them.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I keep used zippers if they are still in good shape. I like to hit the thrift stores for anything that would have unique zippers. great for activity quilts.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 AM

When you get to the zipper take the last stitch right at the zipper then arrange it so the next stitch goes in the center of the zipper and the next just outside and right next to the zipper and keep going with your regular sewing.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 PM

I may be the odd ball here but I make small coin purses all the time with nylon zippers. The cool idea about nylon zippers is that you can customize it to the size of purse you are making by sewing over the nylon teeth.

So, if I am making a 6" coin purse and only have 9" zippers I just customize it to fit by sewing 'over' the teeth at the appropriate place and cut off the rest of it. If your needle is clunking, as someone else pointed out, it isn't seated correctly, tightened down and/or your needle is dull. I have sewn many little coin purses one right after another with the same needle. The needle isn't dulled by sewing over the teeth nor is my machine lagging because of it. I have watched many, many videos on zippered pouches and just as they do I sew over the teeth.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I never sew over the teeth, even if they are plastic. certainly not metal ones. I tend to skip over them and if necessary later i hand stitch over them to secure that area better.
I agree with nativetexan. I never sew thru the teeth.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I sew slowly over the plastic teeth on my Bernina and have not had any problems. Occasionally the first couple of stitches after the zipper are a bit wonky since the foot is only half supported but I usually just stitch again over the zipper from the opposite direction. I could get out that little plastic denim foot bridge but it's way across the sewing room.