Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet >

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Sewing Room - Help - Wall to Wall carpet

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM

We just put a bid in on a house and I think that I'm going to end up having Wall to Wall carpet in the room I want to use for a sewing room. How do I cover it with something that won't hide pins, needles, threads etc.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Replace it with hard flooring.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 AM

If you get the house can you put in wood laminate before you move in. My room is carpeted and when we finally replace the carpet, that room is getting wood laminate or something that is easy to sweep up.

mltquilt
Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 AM

It looks like pretty new carpet, I was wondering if there was a less drastic solution then taking it up. We're going to be putting a bit of money into other things in the house and I hate to add that much to it.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM

I would go with an office chair mat, or a bamboo or other wood mat under your table. Works a treat for me when I choose to sew in the living room!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM

If it's relatively new and you don't want to toss it, perhaps it's of a size that you can use in another room?

I can't suggest laying any type of hard flooring over carpet. There is always the possibilty that the carpet under the flooring could mildew and then it's a really bad mess.

We had re-carpeted my room with the intention of it being a bedroom. We decided to make the master bedroom a different room, and shortly after that I started sewing and hubby "gave" me the bedroom as a sewing room. So I live in a sewing room with newer wall-to-wall carpet. I'm very careful with pins, I know if I drop one and I'll search for it. I too can't see wasting perfectly good carpet. When the carpet is no longer nice, and if I still have the house, well then I'll think about putting a hard flooring down.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM

A new floor is cheaper than surgery to remove a needle from your foot. That happened to my mother --she moved into a house with carpet in the sewing room, and the second day ran a needle in her foot and it broke off, so required surgery! the darn thing went into the bone.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:28 AM

You can buy plastic type runners and lay a couple of them down under you sewing areas. Dosen't cost much. The chair mats are what I use in my sewing room.:)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 AM

I have a carpeted sewing room and I know we won't be changing it to wood or laminate for years. I always wear shoes and vacuum it frequently. I usually take my shoes off when I'm at the sewing machine but put them back on before walking away.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 AM

We used to have carpet in every room of this house! Finalley got red of the last of it! I have a magnet on the end of a long handel the magnet is about 12 long and 3 in wide I ran it over the carpet before I vacumed Got it at either lowes or home depot in tool section. Worked great for me and my sewing area had shag. UGLY Green shag.