Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Shipping overseas - anyone have experience? >

Shipping overseas - anyone have experience?

Shipping overseas - anyone have experience?

Old 09-12-2011, 01:36 PM

I'm a casual EBay seller, and so far have declined to ship outside the US. But right now, I have a potential buyer in France, she was not deterred by my answer that I don't ship international, is pleading for me to sell her the item as she can't get it in France. The item is an electronic sewing machine that will probably sell for 200-300 dollars.
Has anyone shipped a larger package like this? Don't want to have problems and lower my Ebay rating.
Also, she suggested I could mark "gift" on package to avoid extra fees.
Thanks for any input.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM

DO NOT mark gift on the package. That is illegal and unethical.
I would not ship it overseas, something that costly. if she really wants it, she can deal with an import/export agency in the US. You mail it to them, they send it to her.

Sellers have few enough protections on ebay and selling internationally just makes it worse. I have been selling on ebay since 99, I have about given up on international selling. Too many headaches.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM

First, I would not mark the box as a gift, it is a purchase. I personally would not send an item this heavy overseas unless you have it packaged by a professional co (This is what I did) if she wants it that bad she will pay for the additional packaging fee. Put a note in the listing overseas packing will be done professionally and $??? many dollars. Just my opinion
Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I use to work for and company and we shipped all the time out of the country - I would be careful about shipping something that big and costly out of the country. You could ship it UPS or Fedex but that is very spendy :shock: LOL

Also how is she going to pay for it ? What is her rating on Ebay ?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Does the potentional buyer knows that US Machines run on different Voltage?
And does she have experience with importing big and heavy items, the shipping costs are outrageous. Ask me where from I know :lol:
Granny
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I have never bought a machine from the US, but I did get an Accuquilt Go, and that was pretty heavy. It arrived safely though, and no problems other than having to be prepared to pay the extra shipping. It's the price we pay for wanting goodies not available here.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Take it to a UPS store. They will pack it and ship it internationally. You can get the packing done by them ahead of time and get the exact shipping cost, then get your $$ from the buyer and take it back to the UPS store and send it. Have it insured...no risk to you or the buyer. I agree...if she wants it bad enough she will pay whatever it takes.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. Actually, the potential buyer had good feedback, looks like she buys alot of fabrics and sewing things from the USA. If it was a small item like fabric or pattern, I think I would take a chance on shipping myself. Will check the cost of professional pack and ship.
It does bother me that she mentioned marking as a gift if that is illegal.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM

Marking it as a gift is not illegal, but it is not ethical. A purchase is a purchase. I have shipped overseas many times with no problem. I shipped to Japan a very large, heavy box using our USPS and, again, no problem and it arrived in a very timely manner. I truly don't think you will have much drama by shipping to France (IMHO).
Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Take to UPS with her information as to where she lives and aske them for the exact cost to ship and pack...Then advise her and make sure she's will to pay that much...Are you doing a "Buy it Now" for her or putting it up for everyone to bid on? She may not even be high bidder if it's an open bid.