Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: shipping tomato plants

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar

shipping tomato plants

I have a good friend who lives in South Dakota. I live in St. Louis, MO. He wants me to send him some Big Boy tomato plants. I would love to send some but I have no idea as to how I would pack them so they would get there alive and still in tact. Does anyone have any suggestions???? I am clueless.
    Rosie the "ripper"

Blog Entries
    This doesn't make sense to me. Big Boy tomato plants are widely available at the appropriate time in many localities. I see them every year in MN and WI in places such as Walmart, Menard's, etc. I don't know why they wouldn't be available in South Dakota too. If it were an heirloom variety, then I would send him seeds.

Blog Entries
    Does he have a Lowes or Walmart near him where he can pick up the plants himself? Perhaps send him seeds instead of plants to insure survivial?

Is it legal to send plants to another state? In some states, agricultural laws exist, and you are not allowed to take some plants across state lines. Don't know about seeds, don't think that matters.

How would you pack them so they would survive being thrown around, landing upside down, etc?