Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Shipping ,using media mail.. >

Shipping ,using media mail..

Shipping ,using media mail..

Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 AM

ok, i sold some patterns on ebay yesterday. i printed out the label from home, as i usually do. something is wrong with my printer..so i could not reprint,so i cancelled the label, and will get a refund.
so because i pride myself on quick shipping..i go to the post office this morning, and do it at the window. i was sure i could send it media mail. he asked what was in the package, so i told him there were 12 booklet patterns..weight 13 ounces.
he said it could not go media mail. i thought if it had no advertising in them, it could go.
but nope, he said, it can go first class.. but then i could not get delivery confirmation..so i shipped it priority..
so the price of shipping went from $2.00 to $6.05!
dang it..

no the buyer will be happy..but i am not! lol
live and learn i suppose.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 AM

I'd just tell him next time that the package contains booklets. I think they should have gone media mail. Last I knew, you could send magazines as media mail. . .
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Banned

In my opinion, these booklets would qualify as media mail.
I agree, that I would have just told them booklets.

But one question, would they have fit in a flat rate priority envelope?
Wouldnt be $2, but would have saved a couple dollars.

If you print your own, delivery conf. is .18.

Darn it for your buyer.....
Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 AM

sure they would of fit in a flat rate envie. but of course, i was not prepared. i already had it in a regular large yellow envie..for media mail, when the printer would not work, i just took it with me, and went to the post office.
i rarely go to the post office, i mail right from home..95% of the time. i will blame it on my printer! :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

just say books or booklets. i mail lots of quilt books and booklets. now magazines have advertising so can't go media mail.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM

there is no use lying or being evasive (I am not accusing anyone of doing that), they can open the packages for inspection. I believe if they are just a book that you would read, it qualifies. If patterns (pull-out) are included, I'm not sure.
Also, if they are the booklets with only a few pages, not eligible. I think there is a minimum of 16 pages to qualify as a book.
You could have sent it FC parcel and gotten DC. Was the package over 3/4 inch thick, if so it can go at the parcel rate.
Sometimes you have to watch the PO clerks, they always want to "upsell" to a more expensive service.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Sometimes you have to watch the PO clerks, they always want to "upsell" to a more expensive service.
I agree. And it's very annoying. Don't even ask what I went through with the padded FRE. :roll:

fwiw-
Here's the lingo from the mothership at
http://pe.usps.gov/text/qsg300/Q370.htm

Generally used for books (at least eight pages), film (16 mm or narrower), printed music, printed test materials, video and sound recordings, playscripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, and computer-readable media. Sound recordings may include incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings. Books may contain no advertising other than incidental announcements of other books.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info..i would not of lied, i didn't.lol
i will just take my lumps, already paid the higher price..i will just be more careful of what i offer shipping wise, on ebay. i always try to ship the cheapest way..
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM

The last I sent out had books in it with fabric the postal clerk said I sure got a deal with flat rate boxes