Shirt Pattern To A Dress

Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 AM

Could anyone tell me how to take the pattern below and lengthen it to make a dress... I already have the pattern and I plan on making it this summer... I also don't want the skirt part to be so ... fitted I'm guessing the word is... a little of flow in the skirt would be great...

Thank You!

Simplicity 3750, Any of them
[ATTACH=CONFIG]207906[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-207900.jpe  
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Power Poster

Can't you just make it longer?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 AM

Since you are wanting it to be a little more 'flowly' I would just add a skirt like it is a realy WIDE ruffle. HTH
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 AM

Alright, but could someone please explain how to do this?

I'm new at this. This would be the second garment I'd be making... the first one came out well... but I just need to know how to do it! Please...
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 AM

Do you have a dress or skirt pattern that you could use the bottom of? You could add the pattern under the band on the this pattern.

Vicky
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 AM

Use a long ruler to extend the angle of the side seam. I use tissue paper or newsprint (roll-ends) taped to the pattern piece. Draw the line. Then measure equal distances from the bottom (hem) edge. Connect the dots. It will probably be a slightly curved line. Don't forget to add for the hem allowance.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing
Use a long ruler to extend the angle of the side seam. I use tissue paper or newsprint (roll-ends) taped to the pattern piece. Draw the line. Then measure equal distances from the bottom (hem) edge. Connect the dots. It will probably be a slightly curved line. Don't forget to add for the hem allowance.
That would work well if you want just to extend the hemline down to make it longer.

If you want the "skirt" part to look separate from the "top", you could cut a piece of fabric (grainline up and down):

the extra length you need + 2"
by
1 1/2 times the circumference of the shirt bottom.

Stitch the side seam together so you have a tube.

With the longest stitch on your machine, run a basting line 1/2" from one long edge (this will be the top), beginning and ending just before the seam. Leave the threads long on both ends. Mark the tube into 4 (or more) sections with pins or chalk. Do the same with the shirt portion. Pin the marks on the two pieces together, right sides together. Pull up the threads, moving the fabric along, until the sizes match. This will give it a little bit of a ruffled look. If it looks too ruffly when you pin it, make the tube slightly smaller and try again until you're happy with it.

Stitch a 5/8" seam, finish the seam as you like, and hem the bottom.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Vickymomof6
Do you have a dress or skirt pattern that you could use the bottom of? You could add the pattern under the band on the this pattern.

Vicky
I do not. :( But I can probably pick one up from Joanns when I go to get the fabric for the shirt... Thanks for that idea.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by neeng
Originally Posted by quilticing
That would work well if you want just to extend the hemline down to make it longer.

If you want the "skirt" part to look separate from the "top", you could cut a piece of fabric (grainline up and down):

the extra length you need + 2"
by
1 1/2 times the circumference of the shirt bottom.

Stitch the side seam together so you have a tube.

With the longest stitch on your machine, run a basting line 1/2" from one long edge (this will be the top), beginning and ending just before the seam. Leave the threads long on both ends. Mark the tube into 4 (or more) sections with pins or chalk. Do the same with the shirt portion. Pin the marks on the two pieces together, right sides together. Pull up the threads, moving the fabric along, until the sizes match. This will give it a little bit of a ruffled look. If it looks too ruffly when you pin it, make the tube slightly smaller and try again until you're happy with it.

Stitch a 5/8" seam, finish the seam as you like, and hem the bottom.
This is how I would do it also.....
Old 06-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

The waist of the skirt pattern would have to be similar to the size of band on the shirt. :wink: Unless it is a gathered waist line :D:D:D