Short Arm Machine Systems

Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Which is a better deal?

1) Juki TL98Q with cruise control and Original Little Gracie Frame - $400
2) Viking Mega Quilter with aluminum frame, platform shelf, and stitch regulator - $1500

Both in new condition.

Currently have a Viking Quilt Designer for all of my piecing.... (actually contemplated getting the Juki TL98Q at the time of purchase, but went with the Viking and still have absolutely no regrets, but am still intrigued with the Juki.)

Anyone have either system or better yet, tried out both systems and has an opinions for each?

Is the Little Gracie frame too wobbly?

Do they both produce the same output?

I don't intend to do king size quilts... my usual size is baby/lap.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205530.jpe   attachment-205531.jpe  
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I love my Mega Quilter, but it is no longer on a frame. I often piece with it. I would find out if it is the newer machine or the original machine. If it is the original you have to remember to lower the presserfoot or you have a mess, sometimes it is hard to remember.
I would much prefer the aluminum frame over the wooden one.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM

I like my Mega Quilter but it's on a HQ tabletop frame. I would agree with prefering an aluminum frame over wood. The price difference is alot. Maybe go with the cheaper one because you may want to someday get a larger throat machine - that's what I am planning.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

both are a good deal! if you get the megaquilter, get the juki just for piecing. you could sell the extra frame.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Will the Viking frame take a mid-long arm machine with a throat plate of 16-18 inches..if you wanted to upgrade in the future? QuiltnNan has a good idea.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
both are a good deal! if you get the megaquilter, get the juki just for piecing. you could sell the extra frame.
That is a really good idea... too bad I couldn't get my DH to agree to it. :) But I will say, if I could go back 5 years when I bought my first machine and be presented this scenario, it would have been a GREAT investment hands down! I'll probably kick myself down the road for not taking advantage of both deals
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by eastermarie
Will the Viking frame take a mid-long arm machine with a throat plate of 16-18 inches..if you wanted to upgrade in the future? QuiltnNan has a good idea.
Good question, I'll have to ask! Thanks! Love being part of this quilting board and getting the extra advice!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM

The platform is only 20 inches long, so it will not take a mid arm... not sure if you could swap out the platform or not, will have to check into that.