Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Should I Really Join Facebook? (Priceless) >

Should I Really Join Facebook? (Priceless)

Should I Really Join Facebook? (Priceless)

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM

I keep a cell phone for emergencies. Occas call someone. Thats it!! Dont need a gadget attached to me!!!! Aaarghx!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM

FB doesn't turn me on, but I had to sign up because that's where the kids share their pictures.

I, too, love the GPS. One time I got into a big traffic jam in downtown Houston. I took the first exit I came to, knowing that the freeway I needed was going to be elevated for some time in that area and that I would normally have no way of knowing where the next entrance ramp might be. My "rude" friend recalculated and took me right to it, no sweat. Without it I would not have dared leave the familiar route, and it might have cost me as much as an hour or two of creeping in traffic. On a trip farther from home it found a route in East Texas that looked on the map like a 2-lane road of unknown condition, but I thought "what the heck" and tried it. It turned out to be in great shape with little traffic and a passing lane every few miles. It saved considerable distance and time over my usual route. Now I can't remember where it was, and it's driving me nuts. I would never have bothered to get myself a GPS, but the kids passed theirs on to me when they bought a car with it built in. It's especially great for telling us where the nearest gas station, restaurant, museum, etc. is located and exactly how far away in distance and minutes.

My digital oven, on the other hand, thinks it's smarter than I am, and maybe it is. If you put anything in the broiler that smokes, such as bacon wrapped anything, it sounds an alarm and turns itself off. If we want to broil almost anything you could name, it's just better to use the outdoor grill instead.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

I love my GPS - I have to use it for work. BUT it doesn't like US highway addresses - probably a user problem
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 AM

So funny!!! thanks for making me laugh this morning!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 AM

I'm on Facebook, but only access it once or twice a week. Seriously, do I NEED to know that you are going to bed now or out for coffee? I use it to keep in touch with some of my quilting companions, my family and long-time friends from when I was a Boy Scout leader.

"Smarty" phones...you can have them. Too much technology. I still use a Samsung flip phone and haven't even figured out everything it can do. Make a call, needed. Take photo of the neat quilts, needed. Other stuff on it??? If I don't know what it is, I don't need it. I usually refer to the phone as my "electronic leash". (Just think, kids today don't know what a pay telephone is! Some have never seen a land line phone!)

GPS, had one, loved it, then DH gave it to DD to use one day and of course, I have never seen it again. I had mine set to "sexy" male voice. Nice to have someone to "talk" to when I was in the car alone, even though there were times I swear he was ready to say, " Okay, dummy, now you have to make a u-turn. What's wrong with you? Don't you listen? Can't you follow simple directions? Seesh!"

Thanks for a good laugh...I am a baby boomer and at 56 1/2 I am a senior sometimes, other times not (depends on what store I'm in and what their senior discount age is!). I'm also a technophobe...afraid of and hate technology to the point that I have a brand new Janome "Heart" machine, still in it's box, never seen the light of day. I'm afraid to use it cause it has a computer screen in it!!! Is there any hope for me??? :-)

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 06-14-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:43 AM

Thank you for the essay, you have represented my views perfectly. I also have a GPS (mine's a Tom-Tom) and it is in the kitchen "junk drawer" (wasted $$). Tom drove me crazy, it took longer to set it up than to take a trip.

I also have trouble with the cell phone. It was very thoughtfully given to me by my daughter. Like your children, she also felt I needed it when traveling even if only to the store or town library. For financial reasons this has become my only phone. It will only ring 4 times before the voice mail takes over. I DO NOT live with the phone attached to my person! Either it is in another room or the bottom of my purse. I couldn't change the ring time because I didn't have the customer code. So I rarely answer the phone when it rings either I don't hear it or can't find it. I'm getting use to that and find I like not being bothered with the phone.

I am NOT on face book and don't "tweet". I have no intention of doing either.
And I will join you in being "bi-sacksual".
again, thanks for your post......
Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 AM

GPS can be fun......friend has one and we arrived at our destination early (translation: quilt store was not open yet) so she said"watch this" and drove on past the programed destination.........recalculate was the least of what the thing said! Then we stopped, open and closed the doors, waited a minute, drove in circles around an empty grocery store parking lot.......then got a bit worried when the GPS questioned if the car was stolen.....she put in her code and we drove back to the destination.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
he, he. my GPS tends to "recalculate" a lot too!!!
That's ok, I'm one of those people who doesn't get lost (no GPS - but still I don't get lost). I pulled into the gas station yesterday - this man keeps asking everyone (ALL men by the way), how to get to Tillamook (Oregon). He was using a state highway number (most people in this area use names - not numbers for the roads and highways). So ALL of the men are going ????? or looking like dear in headlights - so being the gal I am, said go back out to US 26 heading west to coast, follow about 15 miles to a junction stay left to Tillamook. Man with questions said NO he didn't want to go to the coast. I said again go to the junction stay left to Tillamook NOT straight to the coast. His wife was sitting in the car smiling! Then she said in a loud voice, I told you the GPS said left NOT straight! It was soooooooo funny. He looked around and all the other men said I was right, one had even pulled out a paper map. The man looked at his feet and said Thank You, his wife gave me a thumbs up! GPS has it's place, but so far not my car - I still use the old ways - ieown to the 7-11 turn right go past the LQS to DQ or go past DQ to the LQS.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 AM

I LOVE Facebook and have caught up with lots of old HS classmates that way....and keep up with work friends that way, too, saying stuff we'd never say in our (middle school) building. My phone is an old flip that I use just for emergencies in the car.....I don't even know the number since I only call out on it. I refuse to bother with an iPad, iPhone, Twitter or all the other stuff. PS. I don't turn 50 for another 6-7 weeks.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM

I have a flip phone for when my dh is out and wants to call me or if there is an emergency. I belong to Facebook and have even gone there a couple of times in the last year. I have Twitter too but have never gone near it. Love the GPS because I'm a yardsale person and it's really helpful, dh got tired of me getting him lost all the time so now if he ends up lost it's not my fault, God bless GPS.