Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Shoulder Pain From Quilting

  1. #1
    Super Member Theresa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    1,000
    Well, I really did it to myself. Was quilting a wall hanging yesterday and man-oh-man I sure did "something" to my left shoulder.

    Long story short, evidently strained a muscle group and NO QUILTING for about a week. Ohhhh my gosh, back to cross-stitch and maybe knitting. What a bummer. Will have to re-think my quilting techniques!!

    Has this happened to any of you? :oops:

  2. #2
    Super Member QBeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    1,467
    My guess is that this is a problem that has been building, not something that happened in the blink of an eye??? Be careful about cross-stitching and especially knitting; both can put a strain on your shoulder. Sorry to hear you're hurting!!

  3. #3
    Super Member Theresa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    My guess is that this is a problem that has been building, not something that happened in the blink of an eye??? Be careful about cross-stitching and especially knitting; both can put a strain on your shoulder. Sorry to hear you're hurting!!
    I'll be careful. Since it happened to my L side and am R handed, figure the cross-stitching is my safest bet. Can't just sit!!! Thank you for you comment though.

  4. #4
    Super Member QBeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    I'll be careful. Since it happened to my L side and am R handed, figure the cross-stitching is my safest bet. Can't just sit!!! Thank you for you comment though.
    Know what you mean about not being able to sit idle! I've had bursitis in both shoulders (at different times, thank God!) and it's just miserable not to be able to do what you want to do. _ :cry: _ The only thing that is worse, IMHO, is to throw out your back to the point you can't even lean over a sink to brush your teeth! Yeeeeuck! :-) :-)

    Think of your recuperation time as thinking time for planning new quilts!! :thumbup:

  5. #5
    Senior Member kat112000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sioux Lookout, ON
    Posts
    937
    I feel your pain!! I haven't quilted in a month because of shoulder pain!!!

  6. #6
    Super Member Theresa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by kat112000
    I feel your pain!! I haven't quilted in a month because of shoulder pain!!!
    This is awful. Have you been to a doctor yet?

  7. #7
    Super Member newquilter10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Illinois/Texas
    Posts
    1,162
    Blog Entries
    1
    Have the shoulder pain too and really hurts when I go to bed.

  8. #8
    Super Member Theresa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    I'll be careful. Since it happened to my L side and am R handed, figure the cross-stitching is my safest bet. Can't just sit!!! Thank you for you comment though.
    Know what you mean about not being able to sit idle! I've had bursitis in both shoulders (at different times, thank God!) and it's just miserable not to be able to do what you want to do. _ :cry: _ The only thing that is worse, IMHO, is to throw out your back to the point you can't even lean over a sink to brush your teeth! Yeeeeuck! :-) :-)

    Think of your recuperation time as thinking time for planning new quilts!! :thumbup:
    Ohhh, there are so many quilt patterns swimming in my brain already.

    Sure hope you are doing better. Bursitis, I've heard can be awful.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    16
    Yes, when I press down too hard--If no relief in about a week, you should probably go to ortho doc. I ended up surgery for torn rotator cuff--now, I don't think I did that quilting, but quilting didn't help it any. Also, cold compreses will help. Feel better soon.

  10. #10
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,964
    I hope you get to feeling better really soon. That is such a bummer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.