Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sisters Quilt Show rained out!!! >

Sisters Quilt Show rained out!!!

Sisters Quilt Show rained out!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
Oh my! We got this storm yesterday in the Seattle area. Someone's house was hit by lightning & he was thrown 15' across the room but is ok. He got out as the house burned down. These lightning storms are nothing to mess with - hope everyone in Sisters, quilts included are safe. Even with all our rain, lightning fires is still an issue here, especially on the East side of the Cascade Mountain range.
We got the storms after they hit Seattle. I can't believe how much thunder/lightening we had this weekend. I don't remember that much in my 65 years living in WA state--both sides of the mountains. Luckily, we weren't hit by any lightening but our Dish Network sattellite went out a couple times during the 2-day storm. I wish we could send our cool, wet summer weather east to any state that needs it! This a day here and a day there of summer weather is getting old with us!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM

To everyone who is in a drought ---- I'm sorry -- I didn't mean to sound like we don't appreciate the rain. This topic has gone from pictures of the quilt show to talking about your drought!!!! We, too, need the rain --- however, it WOULD have been nice if Mother Nature had waited about 4 more hours!!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM

One of my friends was lucky enough to go to the show this year. She said it dumped buckets of water while there. Said it was like a good "gully washer" here in middle America. "gully washer" means it rains hard and long and all the small creeks produce flash floods. Was just so sorry that her trip, to the show, was washed out. She said some of the quilts really were soaked.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM

I'm sorry that happened to your friend, too !!! I couldn't understand how they were able to get all the quilts up and protected so fast! They told my friend that all the quilts got in and weren't wet!!! HMMMMMMMMMM
Old 07-16-2012, 05:55 PM

What a bummer! We were getting rain every night over the weekend in LV. The one last night stopped right above our house. It was hailing and was washing out our yard. The street was like a river with hail on it. The hail was large marble size and we had a small pile still in our backyard until about the middle of the afternoon (it's a shady spot).
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 PM

It would have been sad for all that travelled so far. I saw some pics before the rain and it was an incredible display of quilting talents!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM

It was beautiful until about 2pm - my girlfriend and I were already on our way to Bend when it hit - the news I heard was that all the quilts were down and safe with the help of many volunteers. The biggest down side to it was the fact that the stores lost out on revenue ... no quilts were lost or damaged.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349765[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349767[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349771[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]349770[/ATTACH]
I, too, was at the show. We arrived at 8:30 am, so we got almost the entire day to see the beautiful quilts before the skies opened up. When the first sprinkles started about 3:00, it was incredible to watch the volunteers jump into action. Here are some of the pictures I took....
Attached Thumbnails sisters-032-balcony-quilts.jpg   sisters-035-taking-down-quilts.jpg   sisters-036-taking-down-quilts.jpg   sisters-049-streets-flooding.jpg   sisters-051-flooding.jpg  

sisters-052-volunteers-rain.jpg   sisters-045-getting-quilts-down.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM

That's exactly what it looked like when the rains came!! Great pics of the 'event' that spoiled the Event!
Yes, as someone mentioned, the biggest negative of this deluge of a storm was the loss of revenue for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. 3 hours of lost revenue is weighing heavy on them right now. They are encouraging people to become sponsors of the show to help out some of the revenue loss. As I understand it this is the first time in the 37 yr history that it has rained.
It was a fabulous show despite the rains!!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
That's exactly what it looked like when the rains came!! Great pics of the 'event' that spoiled the Event!
Yes, as someone mentioned, the biggest negative of this deluge of a storm was the loss of revenue for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. 3 hours of lost revenue is weighing heavy on them right now. They are encouraging people to become sponsors of the show to help out some of the revenue loss. As I understand it this is the first time in the 37 yr history that it has rained.
It was a fabulous show despite the rains!!
Are you serious???? They had more people than in YEARS and people were buying --- and they say 3 hours is "weighing heavy"???????? Call me skeptical!