Sleep Number Beds

Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 AM

We have had Sleep Number beds for 15 years. We bought one for the guest room that was solid clear across. A person can't change the firmness on just one side, but can change it overall. Our bed has two chambers. I didn't like the little ridge in the middle if we both had different numbers, i.e firm and/or soft, so I finally set them both sides the same number so there was no little ridge down the middle.

The plus is, they don't have to be turned over periodically as they won't develop a dip where you sleep. They are more sanitary, easy to vacuum occasionally. (once every 10 years, haha.) They are lightweight and easy to move to vacuum underneath, or move from place to place. You don't need someone to help you move it.

The minus side: After 15 years, the middle partition broke down, so now we have this huge dip right in the middle. We plan to replace it with the same Sleep Number mattress, but we won't get two different sides this time. We will get one queen size so the middle can't break down if I live 15 more years.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM

I am 4'11" and 120 lbs., but my Hubby is 6'1" and 185 lbs. This caused some issues on any mattress!! We bought our Sleep Number(then called Select Comfort) 18 years ago. The only change has been to get new motor and the company is great in response time and service. Would not change my bed for anything! Ours is pillow top and dual controls that deep pocket regular sheet sets fit just fine.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM

I have a temperpedic and I love it. No more sore aching hips and shoulders when I wake up. I have severe back problems so generally have pain. The only down side I found is rolling over. Not easy. Must lift body up slightly then turn. It was hard at first but now I don't even think about it when doing it. I am now a much calmer sleeper. Before the bed looked as if a war had happened over night, now it looks like a normal person slept there. lol A plus side to it all is the store I bought the mattress from gave me 90 days to try it out and could change without problems if I did not like or adjust to it. My husband was still alive at the time and although he about had heart failure at the price said he was glad we bought it. Do go try them out before buying. Wear comfortable clothes, take you shoes off and roll around on as many as you can. Turn over, get out of bed, sit up while in bed and if you are sleeping with someone else have them there and doing the same. It may change as the weight changes of occupants. Good Luck.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 AM

Only comment I have was due to an earlier thread here mentioning that the tempurpedic (sp) could be very warm. So could cause issues if you are a 'warm' person or are headed into the 'nightsweat era'. I'd like to try the sleep number. Might be the next mattress we purchase.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:03 AM

We have had both, currently a sleep number king. One thing we did not know when we bought the temperpedic was the initial smell! It was horrible and lasted quite while. Never did end up liking it - it was hot. Finally bought the sleep number. While not perfect, we like it a lot better.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I am wondering for those of you with the sleep number, does the air warm up to room temperature or does the bed feel cold/cool all the time? does it warm up with body heat?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 AM

We've had our SNB for 8 or 9 years. It is a divided king and we really like it.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 AM

We have a Sleep Number bed love it. the only thing I don't like it is light and I have to move it back on the foundation ( they say to take of the dust ruffle to keep it from sliding) ( they will sell you a there $100 dust ruffle no thanks not good color chooses)
Never had a problem of losing air.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 AM

We have had one for about 5 years and we love it! Same as what others are saying about the dual controls etc. When this one wears out we will certainly get another one.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM

I have a memory foam topper never a problem
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I am wondering for those of you with the sleep number, does the air warm up to room temperature or does the bed feel cold/cool all the time? does it warm up with body heat?