Smoke Alarms

Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 AM

Red face

*** I hade 2 in my house, each end.
*** The kitchen one saved my live in 1993 when my chimney caught fire from a crack in the fireplace fire wall.
*** FD said I would never have awoke (from the smoke) if it had not gone off.
*** FD said it was 5 minutes from the rafters.
*** Came out fine, insurance only had to replace a part of the den wall & scrub and dry clean stuff.
*** Now have 3 detectors and check regularly.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:57 AM

It is time to "fall back" this Sunday and it is recommended that you change batteries in all smoke detectors whenever we change time (spring ahead or fall back) and I also test after I install the batteries.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I have battery ones in every room, every hall way, even the closets. They are cheap so why not? The sound alone with all those will wake the whole neighborhood. I change out the upper floor batteries when I get my yearly mammogram. The lower floors when DH gets his yearly prostate. We have hard wired ones in the kitchen and garage. We are all electric so no need for carbon dioxide monitors.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:21 PM

We had a lightning strike near our previous home, and the only thing that was damaged was a hard-wired smoke alarm. The thing went off and smoke was coming from it right in the area where the switch was for turning off the noise! My DH knocked it off the wall with a hammer! We had to replace it, of course.

It's good that this topic came up now because a good time to change batteries is when we change the clocks. It's not fun, but might be a matter of life or death.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:39 AM

This weekend is Daylight savings time and the perfect time to replace smoke detector batteries and verify hard wired detectors are working. Batteries are inexpensive and replacing them every 6 months is a cheap insurance policy to takeout for those we love the most. I am off to the store now. Thanks for the reminder
Old 10-29-2015, 05:44 AM

All so practice an evacuation with your family in case of fire. Have a safe place to meet outside of the home. Great to practice with grandkids also when they spend the night or just come over for a visit. Also have a plan to wake children as studies have shown they can sleep through the alarm.
Unfortunate
y my family knows dinner is served when the kitchen smoke detector goes off. Hmmm
Old 10-29-2015, 07:37 AM

My alarms drive me crazy. My iron sets the bedroom one off. My stove sets the living room one off.
Too sensitive for me.
They chirp when they need batteries. So have to go outside and bring in the latter to reach them to replace the battery.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:15 AM

NJ Quilter, you're not telling me anything! My DH is a retired firefighter of over 40 years. When we travel, he even picks the floor we are on and checks out the exits!!! No smoke alarm in the room? We find another place!!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I have travel alarm. I have never been in a hotel where there was not a smoke/heat detector in each room but does it work? My travel one I know works.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

A smoke detector that is not working is worthless.

In face, it is worth than worthless because it may give one a false sense of security.

Check them out to be sure they are working.

(I'm just glad it was smoke from my cooking - and not a fire that tipped us off that the thing was not working.