Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
So many, TOO many, dogs and cats >

So many, TOO many, dogs and cats

So many, TOO many, dogs and cats

Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Last September we found a very tiny kitten in our chicken pen. It was obviously thrown out since it had no fear of us. We couldn't bring it inside due to allergies and couldn't find it a good home so we had her spayed and immunized and she is my DH's buddy. She thinks she is a chicken She sleeps in one of the nesting boxes and stays right with the chickens if they are out and about. It's so funny to watch her try to "play" with them! Sometimes my DH will say, "I wonder where Annie came from." My answer: "God". He knew we would take care of her.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 AM

I recently read where a guy (believe it was even a police officer) went to the local shelter and asked which dog had been there the longest. He said, I'll take him! The workers there were so happy for the dog and the man because the poor dog had been there forever. The guy loved the dog and the dog "came alive" after being adopted. Bless him and all those who adopt!
Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 AM

Being involved in rescue, the pure number of unwanted animals is staggering. Yet, you consistently see more and more advertising for puppies and kittens. And do not be fooled, pure breeds ends up in shelters too. I work with Boxer Luv Rescue in Phoenix, AZ but truly all of AZ. The need for homes for these babies is heart breaking, especially the seniors, who just want their home back. One year, there were 700 Boxers rescued. 700!! Yet there are litters on Craigslist right now. Heart breaking and very wearing on your soul because you cannot rescue all.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:44 AM

Too bad all the shelters aren't "no kill" shelters. I couldn't work at one that wasn't. I'd be taking all the ones home they wanted to euthanize. I too, have rescues, two cats (both were feral kittens) and a greyhound. For those of you that don't know, if one of the greyhound rescue shelters don't/can't take the dogs they are put down. Sometimes not humanely. It breaks my heart to think of all the pets that could be saved and aren't. I won't get a pet that isn't a rescue. I had a dog years ago we got from a pet store. He was a holy terror. He was fear aggressive and I was the only one who could deal with him. Luckily, he never harmed anyone but I couldn't stand to have him put down. I swore that was the last time I would ever get a dog from a pet store.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM

My DH and I run a small cat rescue. We live in the country and are currently caring for 11 cats (and a couple of the cats from neighboring farms!). It costs us a fortune to have them spayed and neutered and to just feed them every day. But they bring such joy to our lives that we keep on doing it. It is heartbreaking to see the shape some of them are in when they find us. Some found us too late and were too starved to survive. People think dropping them in the country will mean some farmer will take them in but the sad reality is that most starve, die of diseases, get attacked by coyotes, or get hit by cars. Please, if you can't care for them yourselves, take them to a shelter!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:13 AM

Absolutely believe in spaying and neutering!! I do have some friends who have acreages who do feed the cats yet allow them to breed, For what? get run over on the road, be food for prey animals, just breaks my heart.
We have ferals in my bedroom community, and had a family or clan in our neighborhood (how I got #3) They live in the storm sewer systems, we had a huge rainstorm for an afternoon late last Summer, It was horrible, watching the storm I knew their fate wouldn't be good, haven't seen them since.
On the good side I have a friend who has a farm and she has noticed a change for the better-animal dumping has greatly decreased.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:17 AM

My daughter inherited 13 feral cats when she bought her property. She had them all neutered. She even feeds them all.
She also has 4 indoor pet cats. Now she has 3 rescue chickens that someone had bought for a kids birthday party. They were baby chicks then, now they are grown and laying eggs. They are spoiled and will even stoop down so you can pet them. They get to run loose when she is outside. Very entertaining to watch. I buy bird seed to feed the wild birds and I take some to the chickens for a morning treat. Wonder what she will bring home next.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:01 AM

I am a rescue mom (2 former stray cats and a high-kill pound dog with no time left..all about 10yrs old now), as well as a foster mom for cats & dogs from a local Rescue League. Rescues and shelters are so in need of fosters that it might be worth considering for people who don't want to take on a pet for the rest of their lifetimes. I only take either 1 foster dog, or 1 cat at a time, or one litter of kittens because of my own 3. I think though when my own pets pass, I will only foster. I know fostering was life-saving for many of the animals that came through my house, and I would like to help more.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Check with you local animal control or humane society. Some counties have low cost spay/neuter clinics and rabies vaccinations. Also check the same places for prices for senior citizens.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:19 PM

I have a t-shirt that says "My favorite breed is Rescued".
I feel your heartache...