So Overwhelmed!!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM

First, I want to tell you how wonderful it is that you are excited about your folks moving in with you. So many young people feel "put out" when they "have to" get more involved in their parent's lives. You aren't doing this because you have to but because you want to...GOOD FOR YOU!! We moved my Dad in when he was diagnosed with Leukemia a little over two years ago. Luckily we had the basement with a bedroom and bathroom. At first he wasn't feeling that bad so I tried to make it like a little apartment for him which he really enjoyed. Of course, as he grew more ill we had to make room for hospital beds, shower chairs, etc. My point is that I personally think it is an honor to be able to have multiple generations available for the kids. My kids LOVED going to "Pawpaw's Apartment" to visit and play games with him. I lost my Dad this past July and still miss him terribly but am so glad that we had some great times before he moved on. As far as what to do with all the stuff??? Everyone has given you some great tips for that! My only tip....don't worry to much about it!! Have fun creating your new family home :) Just take it one day and one room at a time like the others said. Good luck to you!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 AM

How blessed you are to have them coming. My thoughts are do what you can with any help you can get that understands how you feel and understands the situation. Maybe your Mom would love helping to get it all organized and feel it will be more hers too if she has that opportunity. You Dad also would probably feel the same way. Even if physically they can't do a lot, I'm sure that they would enjoy throwing out ideas and plans that would suit everyone. Since everyone will be living together....everyone needs to feel it's their home and space. Since you're so happy they're coming make it wonderful for all and not overwhelming. Life has a way of working out in all kinds of situations and it looks like the hardest part (families living together) is no problem at all. Thoughts and prayers to you.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Where there is love, things fall into place. I think it's wonderful that your family has so much love to feel your home with others. God bless.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Are your parents are going to live with you long term? I would suggest getting a Pod initially. Just focus on decluttering and cleaning each room thoroughly. Prepare a room for your parents void of decorations and clutter, which would allow them to make it their own. I would put all of their non-essential possessions in the Pod. Then start sorting through the Pod. Put items they want to keep in the house. Label items to discard, donate, or sell. You may also decide that some of your parents items are nicer than yours and swap them out. List items on ebay or craiglist. Whatever doesn't sell there do a yard sale. Donate the items that doesn't sell.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your support. They will be staying with us at least a year and we will see from there. My DH finally helped me today and I got most of what I wanted done (in the heavy lifting department). now I just have to do all the lighter stuff in the next two weeks. At least they have a room now, and that is what I was woried the most about.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 PM

oh good! And I agree that you shouldn't worry about their room....totally empty it out so they can make it their own. I thought about that with the sewing room too. Pretend ya'll are in a dorm together...LOL :D Just see if you can give her 1/2 the room and let her make it her own..ya'll can do it together. Have fun!!