So sorry.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by ashlett View Post
We heard that it was started by a lightening strike???
yes, lightening strike. the western united states is currently experiencing extreme heat for this time of year with temps 15 - 20 degrees above normal. some areas affected have also experienced or experiencing drought. these factors combined with unstable weather patterns created by the heat & turbulent atmospheric conditions spawning dry lightening storms, variable winds with high gusts create a dangerous scenario in drought stricken timber regions. wildfires, or any fire for that matter - i have done a tremendous amount of controled brush burning over the years - fire creates it's own winds. so add to the high winds of atmoshperic disturbance...disaster. the mountains and canyons make it worse. difficult terrain to manuever in, the updrafts, all of it. they were trapped behind a fire line when winds shifted. these men deployed their fire resistent foil type survival coverings which would allow them to survive as fast moving wild fire sweeps over them. the authorities aren't sure what happened. autopsies to determine asphyxiation or ? . the heat resistent tarps they wrap them selves in have melting point of 500F - 460F = ~237C

our western united states is hot dry and prone to wildfires. . just as midwest prone to tornadoes, east to hurricanes. a land of tremendous beauty and incredible extremes of weather.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

It just breaks my heart...These brave souls are to be admired...God Bless their souls and their familys.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 AM

We are praying for you firefighter families in AZ . Prayers and hugs to you all. The forces of nature are uncontrollable.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 AM

. Here's a poem from the Greyback Forestry Condolence site by Mr. Gordon Campbell. Mr. Campbell states :2008 lose of fire fighters<o></o>
"I am a father of a wildland firefighter currently on the Ramona Helitack crew in the Cleveland Nat'l Forest. Needless to say the recent crash in the Trinity Forest has been weighing heavily upon me. So heavily in fact that I was moved today to compose the following poem. Please feel free to use it in any memorial service that may be planned for the victims of this tragedy."<o></o>
I SAW YOU UP THE MOUNTAIN

I saw you up the mountain,
Walking through the haze,
In sooted turnouts dusty yellow,
Cast dark against the blaze.
I'm sure I did. You can't be missed!
You are someone I know.
One I'll never fail to see,
Where ever I must go.

It was where I fought beside you,
And then cried as you were lost.
Right there beside the memory,
Of what our fight has cost.
I know that's where I saw you,
And it's where I see you still,
All double-time and courage,
As we charge another hill.

I saw you at the base camp
With your cup, and yes, a joke,
And the rasping of your laughter,
Meant to wash away the smoke.
You were with me in the chow line
At the table saying grace
And I prayed like anything
"Just once, Lord, let me see that face."

I saw you up the mountain,
And I'll see you there again,
And in every place they send me,
Where the fire is, and then,
I'll watch the plume rise upward,
As it lilts from star to star
Outward past heaven's wild lands,
To where you really are.<o></o>
Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 AM

This makes my heart ache that anyone should face such a horrific death. They were all such heroes throughout their careers. Praying for their families and loved ones.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:36 PM

So very sad for firefighters and even more for their families. Spent 20 years as Army wife (Desert Storm) was so hard on families wondering if our loved ones would come home, and I am sure families are in shock right now.
God Bless them all.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM

My heart goes out to the families of these brave men. Firefighters are are some of the most courageous people I know. It is always so sad when any of our Firefighters or Police are lost in the line of duty. They selflessly put themselves in harms way to protect us, and we seldom think to express our appreciation for all they do. May they rest in peace.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM

I'VE BEEN THROUGH THAT AREA MANY TIMES- IT WAS LOVELY - WITHOUT FIRE FOR OVER 40 YEARS. HEARTBREAKING LOSS OF THESE HEROES. i HOPE THEIR FAMILIES CAN TAKE A LITTLE SUPPORT FROM ALL OF US AND KNOWING THAT EACH PERSON CHOSE THIS DANGEROUS CAREER. SERENITY FOR ALL WHO SUFFER.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 PM

So sweet to see so much support from all over the world. We are learning more everyday on who these men were and unfortunately who they left behind. A couple of these heros were expecting babies. I just cant even imagine. God bless you All , God bless these men and their families.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Nineteen firefighters were lost in Arizona, and Luke Sheehy, who grew up with my children, was lost in the same week in another wildfire. For those of us in the rural west, we pray for rain without lightning but often get lightning without rain. This has been the worst tragedy in my memory. My heart goes out to the families of all those who have died.

Trees DO need to be thinned. Forest Service cutbacks and environmental groups who insist on banning even responsible logging have greatly increased the fire danger.