Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some mechanical skills required. >

Some mechanical skills required.

Some mechanical skills required.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Inevitably I drop some pins on the floor when I am quilting. What's the problem you ask?

The upright vacuum cleaner got clogged due to a pin jamming the intake. It just wasn't picking up, even though it had a clean bag. (Are you glad I spared you from a picture of the clogged mess?) :-)

DH to the rescue! It required a phillips head screwdriver to remove the plate on the bottom of the vacuum cleaner, then the rat's nest of stuff built up at the bottom of the tube to be removed. Voila! Put it back together and it works as good as new now.

I prefer to be ignorant about mechanical things, but I am capable of learning. Some day I may be totally independent and not need a handy man around, but I hope not.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the information, and I don't want to be with out my handy man/hunny for sure!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

I take the bottom plate off the vacuum frequently. Threads and hair rap around the brush (bar that spins) and when too much stuff collects, the vacuum doesn't work well.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM

You're blessed, be good to them. I truly believe God made woman for man. It's very hard to do the things that come so natural to most men. When the need arise my BIL is my Mr. Fix-It. My sister's best friend and I call him "Something-Like-A-Husband" at the end of the job you pay in cash.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM

I have that problem from time to time and need to remove either the bottom plate or release the hose from it's place to get in and find where it is clogged at. That is if a good thump on the floor won't send it on it's way up and into the bag.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM

I work barefoot or in socks so I use a shop magnet to pickup pins. It's approx 2" x 12" with a telescoping handle. Don't know how it would work on carpeting.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Gee, I wish I could do stuff like that. We have two vacuums with no suction. Did everything the manuals and one DVD said to. We do it old style now- good 'ol broom!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 AM

I run over my floor with a telescopic magnet before I vaccuum so I can avoid that issue. we have Central vac so I don't even want to know the mess that would make. I got the magnet from the $store and it works great! I also got a heavy duty one from the auto part place for under my mom's LA.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM

I do have a small magnet, but many times I miss one or two pins. It probably is a good idea to check in front of my cutting/pinning table with the magnet before vacuuming! Thanks!