Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Some men are uninformed regarding quilting >

Some men are uninformed regarding quilting

Some men are uninformed regarding quilting

Old 11-21-2015, 05:46 PM

Default Some men are uninformed regarding quilting

Ok, I'm wandering around JoAnn's looking for something I need in order to use a 50% off coupon courtesy of a survey. Wife is just touching stuff while hubby comes up with loads of ideas of what she can make. They get to the quilting notions section and he notices a pair of gloves to be used while machine quilting. Hubby holds the gloves up and loudly announces "something for the woman who is too lazy to hand quilt." Luckily for him, they then proceeded out the door as I'm pushing aside shopping baskets to get to him.

Marilyn
Sequim, WA
Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 PM

OMG - that almost sounds like something that my DH might say because his "sainted" mother made quilts for all of her 10 children - during the depression and quilted them all by hand. He went with me to a small quilt show once and loudly said that he "hated" the quilt on the wall because it had that "stupid" border on it. I have many of Grandma's quilts and none of them had any borders on them. At the end of her life, she moved to town to a little 4 room house and had one of those hand quilting frames that hung from the ceiling of her tiny living room on ropes and she had to "roll up" the ropes so that we could come in the door and we would have to sit underneath her latest quilt when we visited her. I actually have her 4 wooden rails that she used - still unused here - guess that I am too lazy!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:49 PM

Fortunately my DH is the opposite. He is amazed at how much work is involved in making a quilt. When he goes to quilt shows he asks how long a quilt took to make -- when we have been at booths at craft fairs that are selling quilts it goes out of his way to compliment the quilter. I am so glad he appreciates the work that goes into the quilts.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:33 PM

My dh also appreciates the amount of time it takes to make a quilt. Obviously that guy doesn't pay any attention to his wife and what it takes to make one. I feel for her that she has to put up with that.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
My dh also appreciates the amount of time it takes to make a quilt. Obviously that guy doesn't pay any attention to his wife and what it takes to make one. I feel for her that she has to put up with that.
I agree. I've proclaimed long and loud about how much work goes into my projects that my DH wouldn't dare say anything.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:21 AM

Maybe he had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek and this was his way of getting her out of the store. It struck me as funny.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:17 AM

While I would have been appalled to hear this comment as well, I wonder if katesnanna is correct in thinking it may be an 'inside' joke between the hubs & wife? I certainly hope so. My hubs in in the camp of knowing what is involved in quilt making but is also the type to make a comment like that in jest.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:41 AM

DH and DS are often at a loss in quilting stores. Mine too makes too many "helpful comments" finally after several visits, I have them both trained to leave me alone by telling them we will get out of there faster if they go do something else. They instantly go away.
"
Old 11-22-2015, 07:08 AM

Not just men, we have all seen women who don't understand why we can't whip up a quilt by the weekend.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:16 AM

Or those who have no idea of what goes into the entire quilting process and ask you for a favor.... like make a quilt for Uncle Joe or someone else - since we have so much time on our hands - at little or no cost for the effort. "Since you have all of that material (yeah, material) just sitting around......."