Something new in my house!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM

Default Something new in my house!

I must be totally crazy. I retired 5 years ago and find that I don't have time enough for all the quilts I dream of creating. Now I have added a new wrinkle to my brain. I had wanted to take weaving class for years, and finally took it last month. Sunday my husband found an ad in the newspaper for a 4 harness jack loom for sale. Today we drove 90 to check it out. Tomorrow we are going back in the truck to pick it up! It is a wonderful loom and one of the best on the market. My husband wanted me to have it, so now I do! I don't know when I will have time to do all the quilts, all the knitting, all the needle point, all the cross stitch, and now all the weaving I want! Keep me in your thoughts! After I get it set up and going I will post pictures!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Enjoy! Variety is the spice of life.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 AM

My husband found me a Leclerc loom on Kijiji and it was free. How do you turn that down. Needless to say it's in my living room where the couch used to be as it wouldn't go any further into the house without disassembling it.
You CAN do it all. I always have the loom warped with something. That way I can sit down for a few minutes while I'm waiting for dinner to cook, or I'm between quilting or Art projects. My sister is appalled that I "ruined" my living room but I don't care. She has no hobbies and just doesn't understand. It's all about colour and texture and creating.
Enjoy your loom. It is a steep learning curve but I love to walk by my loom and see and touch the beautiful "fabric" that I created.
MaryKatherine
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 AM

When you said weaving, I thought of wicker baskets. I made 50 egg baskets one summer. I haven't attempted one in a while but the supplies are still awaiting me. I've always wanted to learn how to weave on a loom and have a small table model. I finally have a space to make my own so this fall I'll be organizing my projects and see just what calls my name first. Right after I finish three quilt tops, two table runners, several cross stitch Christmas stockings, a crocheted afghan, a sweater vest, socks.....oh well, I tend to have several things going at once. It all makes me happy and that is the point of our handiwork.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:43 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

why not ! go for it ! and enjoy while you are doing it ...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:52 AM

I have wanted to learn on to weave on a loom forever! I looked in to it a couple of years ago as I had a basement then that would accomodate a loom. I couldn't find anyone that could teach me! Now, I have a small house that barely accomodates the 2 humans, 4 cats and 3 dogs & my fabric stash! Someday!!! (maybe....!)
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 AM

Congratulations! Weaving appears to my uneducated eye both magical and so therapeutic.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Oh i went on an Artist's tour in my City once and one lady had her whole basement outfitted for quilting, dying and weaving. She did it all!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM

I would like to more things also........I know my time is limited for my love of quilting. I force my brain not to take on anymore hobbies.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Retirement is hard work...hard to decide what we want to do next!