sour smelling clothes

Old 09-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Have you ever washed and dryed your clothes and they come out smelling sour? or musty like? I just got rid of my washing machine because it was finally falling apart. I used to think that the smell was coming from it. BUt now I have a brand new washer and somethings don't seem to smelll or at least not right away when they are finished drying. If you have what did you do or what can I do? Since I got the new washer I have washed the dryer out with bleach and it doen't seem to help. At first I thought it waas just my towels beacause I have some old ones of those too!!! But when it effects my other clothes what can I do?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:53 PM

The smell sometimes comes from the hamper...the beginning of mildew or mold. I comes from soiled and damp clothes. Add a cup of white vinegar to the wash water. come out smelling sweet :D
Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 PM

I agree with Ruth.. vinegar .. sometimes I mix it with baking soda too, especially for the towel load if they are smelly.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 PM

It could be something in your water or your pipes as well. It may not be the fault of your washer. Check your drain hoes to the washer to made sure nothing is clogged and backwashing into the washer. Vinnegar is good, I have used it to reduce smells.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM

Probably the answers you've gotten already will take care of it, but I have to ask, are you sure you're adding enough detergent? Or could it be something in the water?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

One day DH was doing the laundry. As he is folding the clothes, he suddenly scrunches up his nose, hands me his Jeans and says: Do these smell funny? Here honey, smell my pants!" Besides rejecting the request on pure principle, I rolled laughing. Apparently, as we determined later, he ad forgotten to add detergent.

It may also be that you overfill your loads?

Old 09-29-2009, 04:57 PM

You may want to put your washer thru an empty load with some bleach....something from the factory may be in the tub....that would help it "freshen".....
Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

If you use well water, you might have sulfur in your water
That would make them smell also
Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

White King D with borax. Works great. Start it and then when it fills, stop it and let it soak in well. The water around here does that sometimes too.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:37 PM

if the room is damp and mildewy, the clothes will smell that way. to combat mildew,wash down the walls and floor, wherever you can reach with a bleach solution, about 1/4 c. to 1 gallon water. i use more bleach, but you decide. the bleach kills all mold and mildew. if you have windows, open them.

don't leave wet clothes in the washer. dry them right off. as the others have said, vinegar or borax will help. if the room gets chilly try to heat it up a little, it will help the room to dry.

did you sniff inside the washer and dryer? i don't think the small is coming from there. do you hang wet clothes in there to dry? that causes mildew, too. imo

edit: leave little boxes of cornstarch around to absorb the odors, change them regularly.