source for wool

Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 PM

Default source for wool

My wacky son is wanting a kilt for his birthday--too wear to Ren-feasts, etc. I've finally found a pattern on eBay(none of the pattern books have a kilt pattern currently)that's an old Simplicity, but I'm not finding much in the way of wool (or wool blend would be better)at the local JoAnne's. Hancock's is almost wiped out around here and didn't have any wool.

Does anyone know an on-line source--I can google kilts and get wool by the yard--but would rather not pay $30/yd!
Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Pendleton wool by the yard was $25/yard 40 years ago.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

I found these kilt kits on Amazon. They seem to be reasonably priced and have good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_66q6b3vflm_b

Oops! They are actual kilts. I misread the titles as "kits"!

All of the tartan wool fabric yardage I found online was very expensive -- around $70 or so a yard. Fabric.com does have some tartan plaid yardage in cotton, but I'm thinking it won't hang correctly:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0385171/k...9S4aAhch8P8HAQ.

Last edited by Prism99; 06-16-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:41 PM

Adopt forget the white socks and sporran, plus black shoes. Wouldn't recommend the small knife forgot name. The add one will cost as well.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:43 PM

My sister, her husband, and son all wear kilts. Originally she planned to make them each a kilt, but then the cost of the wool, matching the plaid and sewing all the layers of the pleats she decided it was best to just buy them already made. They live near Seattle and there is a kilt company where they can go in and try them on before buying them.
They wear them whenever they feel like it. They don't wait for Ren. Fairs, they wear them anywhere and everywhere.

Had to giggle at the cost of Pendleton wool, over 25 years ago - back in the mid 70's Disneyland had a Pendleton Wool store in Frontierland. My mother offered to buy some wool fabric for me (I used to sew most of my clothes back then) but it was so beautiful and so expensive, I knew I would be afraid to even make the first cut so we didn't get any. And I so rarely wore the one Pendleton wool shirt that I had, I am really glad we never bought it. But it was fantastic fabric.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-16-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:36 AM

You might try Fabric Depot in Portland, OR. The are huge and when I was last there they had a nice selection for wool. The sell fabric online through their website - believe it is www.fabricdepot.com. They are huge, carry good quality fabrics, and are more of an old-fashioned fabric store than a quilt shop.

Too bad you don't know someone in the northwest - Pendleton Woolen Mills has an outlet in Camas, Washington where you can buy their products and fabrics that didn't meet inspection standards plus overstock at greatly discounted prices. They mark each "imperfection" with tape and a description of what is wrong and often it was things like a single green thread nub showing on a blue section of a plaid. Their inspection standards are very, very high so most people would not consider that to be an imperfection. We used to buy their woolen shirts from the Outlet for $9 to $15.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:34 AM

I get my wool from thrift stores and yard sales and felt them myself.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

There are some Men's Scottish quilts for sale on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...&_sacat=112424
Old 06-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I had 2 wool and 2 cotton blends. Pleated. We had to have atleast 6 pleats in our skirts.
Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
how about upcycling a girls Catholic school skirt. they are usually made of wool and are kilt like, at least mine was.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:57 PM

thank you all for suggestions. I had thought about Pendleton as they have a big outlet in Nebraska City (south of Omaha where he lives) but very pricey even for the "2nds". so spent lots of time way too late last night on the computer and think my best bet is to purchase an already sewn kilt as the prices for an acrylic blend (which might be better anyway as he can't really afford lots of dry cleaning)is just too good! so I'm going that route--with the price so reasonable I can then afford the other things that go with it like the belt, sporrin, etc. But as always, you guys give me lots of ideas.